Latvijos armija
I Nepriklausomybės karai, Baltijos šalių nepriklausomybė, II WW2
1919.gada 5.janvārī tika izveidota pirmā lielākā nacionālā karaspēka vienība – Atsevišķais latviešu bataljons pulkveža-leitnanta Oskara Kalpaka vadībā. Šī vienība, kas martā tika pārformēta par brigādi, kopā ar Igaunijas teritorijā organizēto, pulkveža Jorģa Zemitāna komandēto Ziemeļlatvijas brigādi izveidoja Latvijas armiju. Jaunizveidotā armija auga un rūdījās kaujās pret bermontiešiem pie Rīgas un Kurzemē, kā arī cīņās pret lieliniekiem Latgales frontē.
Nedēļu pēc 1. pasaules kara beigām un Kompjēnas pamiera noslēgšanas 1918.gada 11.novembrī, tika proklamēta neatkarīgas Latvijas valsts izveidošana. Jaunā pagaidu valdība bija cerējusi, ka tā varēs iztikt bez regulāras armijas veidošanas, jo nevienam uzbrukt negrasījās. 1918. gada 13. novembrī Padomju Krievija anulēja Brestļitovskas miera līgumu, ar ko tā bija atteikusies no Baltijas teritorijas par labu Vācijai, un uzsāka virzību uz Rietumiem. Cerības, ka Vācijas armija pildīs savu apņemšanos aizstāvēt Latviju pret lielinieku iebrukumu, neattaisnojās.
Rīgā tikmēr formējās Latvijas Republikas Pagaidu valdībai lojālais karaspēks. 1919.gada pavasarī Latvijas bruņotie spēki sastāvēja no Landesvēra (vācbaltiešu zemessardzes), Ziemeļlatvijas brigādes un Dienvidlatvijas brigādes. Abas šīs brigādes 1919.gada 10.jūlijā apvienoja ģenerālis Dāvis Sīmansons, kļūdams par pirmo Latvijas armijas virspavēlnieku. Šī diena ir uzskatāma par dienu, kad tika izveidota Latvijas armija.
1919.gadā notika strauja Latvijas armijas apbruņošana un attīstība, tika saņemts bruņojums un ekipējums no Anglijas, Polijas un citām valstīm. 1920.gada sākumā Latvijas bruņotajos spēkos dienēja apmēram 52 000 karavīru. Neatkarības karš noslēdzās 1920.gada 11.augustā, kad tika parakstīts miera līgums ar Padomju Krieviju. Uzreiz pēc Neatkarības kara Latvijas armija sāka pāriet uz miera laika štatu. Latvijas armijā ietilpa četras kājinieku divīzijas ar trim kājinieku pulkiem un artilērijas pulku katrā. Kājinieku pulki bija numurēti un nosaukti Latvijas pilsētu vārdā. Latvijas armijai bija arī kara flote, kas sastāvēja no flagmaņkuģa “Virsaitis”, Zemūdeņu diviziona ar divām zemūdenēm “Ronis” un “Spīdola”, kā arī Mīnu diviziona ar diviem mīnu traleriem “Imanta” un “Viesturs” un vairākiem palīgkuģiem.
Armijas sastāvs formējās, pamatojoties uz vispārējo karaklausību, kam bija pakļauti visi Latvijas pilsoņi. Līdz 1931.gadam dienesta laiks bija 18 mēneši, vēlāk tas tika saīsināts līdz 12 mēnešiem kājiniekiem, 15 – pārējām ieroču šķirām. Armiju un kara floti pārvaldīja Kara ministrija. Kara ministram bija pakļauts armijas komandieris, kurš bija atbildīgs par armijas apmācību un sagatavošanu.
1940.gada 1.jūnijā Latvijas armijā bija 30 843 vīru. 1940.gada 17.jūnijā, 2.pasaules kara laikā, Padomju Savienības karaspēks savā kontrolē pārņēma visu Latviju un Igauniju. Latvijas armija tika pamazām izformēta, atvaļinot rezervē, arestējot un deportējot latviešu karavīrus. 1940.gada 27.septembrī likvidēja Latvijas Kara ministra posteni, bet 1940.gada 9.oktobrī likvidēja Latvijas Tautas armijas komandiera amatu.
1989.gada 17.jūnijā Rīgā, Latvijas Valsts Universitātes Lielajā aulā, notika Latvijas strēlnieku apvienības dibināšanas konference. Pēc kuras dažu nedēļu laikā Latvijas strēlnieku apvienībā iestājās vairāk nekā 500 bijušo karavīru. Rudenī izveidojās nodaļas un grupas Jelgavā, Tukumā, Liepājā, Bauskā, Balvos, Līvānos, Maskavā un cituviet. Sākas aktīvs darbs pie likumu, reglamentu un dažādu dokumentu izveides un izstrādes, kas būs nepieciešami armijas izveidei un pastāvēšanai.
1991.gada 10.septembrī tika pieņemts likums par valsts obligāto militāro dienestu. Sakarā ar šo likumu, visiem Latvijas pilsoņiem - vīriešiem, vecumā no 19 - 50 gadiem, jāpilda obligātais militārais dienests. Neilgi pēc šī likuma pieņemšanas, 11.novembrī, Brāļu kapos, tiek dots pirmais karavīra zvērests kopš Latvijas neatkarības atjaunošanas.
Daugiau informacijos šaltinių
1. 100 notikumi Latvijas vēsturē. Cilvēki un procesi 1918-2018. AS “Latvijas Mediji”, 2018.
2. Dvēseļu putenis. Digitālais muzejs. Pieejams: https://www.dveseluputenis.lv/lv/laika-skala/notikums/105/sarkanas-armijas-iebrukums-latvija/ [skatīts: 08.05.2021.].
3. Nacionālo bruņoto spēku tīmekļa vietne. Pieejams: https://www.mil.lv/lv/par-mums/vesture [skatīts 08.05.202
Saistītie objekti
Exposition of military bikes in the Bicycle museum in Saulkrasti
The Bicycle Museum is located in Saulkrasti not far from the A1 highway and the railway station Pabaži, near the White Dune. Museum’s collection is made up of technically the most interesting examples of bicycle development history in Latvia. It is the largest bicycle collection in the Baltics with about 60 bicycles made and used in Latvia, including army-type bicycles. In the beginning of the 20th century many armies started to widely utilise the availability and benefits of bicycles. Special bicycle units were formed because of their mobility. Bicycle units were able to gather intelligence and launch unexpected attacks more easily, and were more mobile than regular infantry when it came to operations over a wide area. After World War I the Latvian Army also had bicycle units who used Latvian-made army bicycles. Any soldier who was in such a bicycle unit had to meet strict requirements. Good stamina, eyesight and hearing, as well as a healthy heart and lungs were a must. They could not weigh less than 80 kg and their height had to be 165-180 cm. The standard in the Latvian Army was that a well-trained cyclist should be able to cover 80-100 km in day, and up to 150 km in forced conditions. In winter, when bicycles could not be used, skis were used. A soldier from a bicycle unit had to be able to ski 50-60 km per day. Many soldiers from bicycle units would later become professional athletes.
We have about 5000 visitors every year.
Monument to the first battle for Latvia's independence
Atroadas, Inčukalns, Atmodas Street 2.
On July 3, 2016, a monument to the first battle for Latvia's independence, dedicated to the Latvian National Guard (Die Lettländische Landeswehr), was unveiled. sides. Eižens Upmanis, the chairman of the Brothers' Cemetery Committee, concluded at the time that this could be the historically first monument to the combined Latvian and Baltic forces in the battle memorials outside the cemetery. At that time, Lieutenant Colonel Oskars Kalpaks was appointed commander of the Latvian units of the Latvian National Guard or Landesver, from whose units the later Latvian army grew and formed during the Freedom Fights.
In 1918, the entire territory of present-day Latvia had fallen into the hands of the German Empire and its troops. However, at the end of the summer and autumn of 1918, the situation began to end badly for Germany, and it was clear that it was only a matter of time before Germany would be forced to concede defeat in World War I. The Russian Empire, which included Latvia before World War I, had ceased to exist earlier, with the revolutions of February and October 1917. On November 18, 1918, the Republic of Latvia was proclaimed. After the ceasefire with the Entente on November 11, 1918, the German army, which was on the territory of Latvia, was no longer motivated for further warfare, and most of its soldiers simply wanted to return home.
Under such circumstances, it was clear that Latvia's defense depended primarily on the national guard formed by the people of Latvia. Initially, due to their education and relatively greater ability to self-organize, the greatest initiative in creating such a national guard was shown by the Baltic Germans living in Latvia. Russian soldiers also joined the National Guard. In order to ensure the supply of the National Guard with uniforms, weapons and other necessary resources, on December 7, 1918, the Provisional Government of Latvia entered into an agreement with the German representative August Vinnig, providing for the provision of the National Guard from the German army reserves in Latvia. This agreement stated, among other things, that the National Guard, officially known as the Latvian National Guard or in German, the die Lettländische Landeswehr, would be the armed forces of the Republic of Latvia.
Two soldiers of the Latvian Red Rifle Regiment (ie approximately 2,000 to 3,000 soldiers) who had previously experienced in World War I and the Russian Civil War faced the Latvian National Guard. Despite the experience and numerical superiority of the Red Army, the Latvian National Guard held Inčukalns for two days in fierce fighting, until finally, in the evening of January 1, 1919, to avoid siege, was forced to retire, losing 43 dead and several wounded, most of whom was taken captive by the Bolsheviks, where they were killed or died of starvation or disease.
Author: Artis Buks. Material: Boulder. The monument is made of large monolithic stone, which was found in Rolls near Jelgava.
Latvian Army Summer Camp in Litene
The Latvian Army Summer Camp in Litene is located in the forest in Litene parish, near the Pededze River. The beginnings of the Litene Camp can be traced back to 1935 when the construction of a summer camp complex for the Latgale division of the Latvian Army was started. From May to autumn, several thousand soldiers learned combat tactics and shooting skills in Litene. In the summer of 1941, Latvian Army officers were arrested by Red Army and NKVD troops at an army summer camp in Litene. Several officers were shot on the spot, while others were deported to Siberia. On 14 June 1941, at least 430 officers were arrested and deported to Siberia in the Litene and Ostrovieši camps about 10 kilometres from Litene. The only historical building that has survived from the camp is a food storage facility. Only the foundations remain from the other buildings. There is a viewing platform with the Latvian flag, benches and a well-maintained place for a fire. A demilitarised cannon was installed with the support of the Ministry of Defence and the National Armed Forces. Information boards are in place. The Wall of Pain memorial in the Litene graveyard is also connected with the events at the Litene camp. The YouTube channel of the Latvian Army features a video named ‘Litene, Katyn of the Latvian Army’.
Latvian military aviation aerodrome
Located in the territory of Vecgulbene manor - in the historical center.
In the interwar period, the garrison of the Latvian Army was located in Gulbene, where the 7th Sigulda Infantry Regiment Battalion was stationed. Aerodromes are especially important in places where important railway and road junctions have been established. In 1937, a newly established unit of the Aviation Regiment was stationed in Gulbene, which became the 6th Division of the Latgale Division Scouts, increasing the number of army units near the eastern border of Latvia.
The conservatory building is visible.
Exposition "Latvian Army in Pļaviņas in the 20th Century"
Located at Odzienas Street 2, Pļaviņas.
The permanent exposition "Latvian Army in Pļaviņas in the 20th Century" can be seen.
The building in Pļaviņas, Odzienas Street 2, has a long history - from the time when Stukmaņi wholesaler Hugo Apeltofts started active economic activity in it, thus promoting the development of Pļaviņas city, until the headquarters of the Latvian Eastern Front was established here during the War of Independence. In 1919, the activities of Latvian army units against the Red Army in Latgale were commanded directly from Pļaviņas.
In 1934, a memorial plaque was unveiled near this house with the inscription: "In 1919, the headquarters of the Eastern Front was located in this house, and here General Jānis Balodis took over the command of the Latvian National Army." It was removed and destroyed by the Soviets in 1940, but on June 16, 1990, with the support of the LNNK Plavinas branch, it was restored.
Now, next to the former headquarters building, there is a memorial stall dedicated to 15 cavalry of the Lāčplēsis Military Order born in Pļaviņas region. In Pļaviņas, as well as provides an insight into the life stories of the Knights of the Lāčplēsis War Order.
Not far from the exposition building is the Latgale Division headquarters building, which was built in 1913 by Count Teodors Medems as a Stukmaņi liqueur factory. In 1919 it was taken over by the regime of P. Stučka, where it had also established a prison. After the expulsion of the Bolsheviks, in 1925 the building was taken over by the Latvian Army, which housed the headquarters of the Latgale Division. 10 generals and other officers of the Latvian Army spent their military careers in this building. In 1940, the building was taken over by the Red Army. In the post-war years, it housed a school as well as a municipality. Around 1970, the building was started to be used by the production association "Rīgas Apīrsbs".
Visits to the exhibition must be booked in advance by calling T. 28442692.
Memorial Wall of Pain
Artrodas Litene cemetery.
On June 14, 2001, the memorial “Wall of Pain” created by architects Dina Grūbe, Benita and Dainis Bērziņš, stonemasons Ivars Feldbergs and Sandra Skribnovskis was unveiled in Litene Cemetery, it symbolizes the resting place of the soldiers killed in 1941. In October 1988, the ashes of 11 officers killed in June 1941 by the Soviet Army were found in the territory of the former Latvian Army summer camp in Sita Silila, Litene Parish. Although they could not be identified, on December 2, 1989, at the consecration service in Gulbene Evangelical Lutheran Church, Litene Cemetery was solemnly reburied.
11 white crosses, memorial plaque and information stands.
Pagalvės oro uostas
Įsikūręs Rygoje, Pārdaugavoje, Spilvės pievose netoli Iļģuciems.
Spilvė karinio paveldo istorijoje garsėja ambicingu Spilvės mūšiu XVIII a. ir Spilvės aerodromas. Nuo XX amžiaus jis buvo naudojamas orlaivių bandymams, o Pirmojo pasaulinio karo metais tapo Latvijos aviacijos istorijos liudininku.
Pirmojo pasaulinio karo metais Spilvės pievas naudojo Rusijos kariuomenės oro pajėgos kovoje su vokiečių kariuomene. Sukūrus Latviją, aerodromas tapo svarbiausia šalies oro pajėgų baze ir pilotų poligonu. Ankstesni oro uosto pavadinimai buvo „Spilvės oro uostas“ arba „Rygos oro uostas“, vėliau „Rygos centrinis oro uostas“. Tai buvo pagrindinis oro uostas Latvijoje iki Rygos oro uosto atidarymo 1975 m.
Galbūt prie įspūdingų ne vieno Latvijos piloto pasiekimų prisidėjo prie Rygos esantis Spilvės aerodromas ir svajonė pasiekti žvaigždes. Galbūt, tačiau Latvijos aviacijos užuomazga gerokai senesnė ir ją galima rasti Priekulėje, kur latvių kalvis Zviedris savadarbiu aparatu išskrido iš bažnyčios bokšto.
Šiandien Spilvės oro uostas veikia. Galima pamatyti 1954 metais pastatytą oro uosto pastatą, kuris įkūnija sovietinį klasicizmą arba „Stalino imperijos“ stilių.
Šaltiniai:
Irbītis, K. Latvijos aviacija ir jos pradininkai. Ryga: Mokslas, 2004.
Brūvelis, E. Latvijos aviacijos istorija: 1919-1940. Ryga: Mokslas, 2003.
Oficiali valstybinės agentūros „Civilinės aviacijos agentūra“ svetainė. Prieiga: https://www.caa.gov.lv/lv/latvijas-aviacijas-vesture-isuma [žiūrėta 2021 02 22].
Latvian War Museum
The Latvian War Museum is located in the Old Town not far from the Freedom Monument in a historic defence building called the ‘Powder Tower’. There are 11 exhibits in the museum. There are various weapons, documents, uniforms, awards, badges and other items detailing the everyday life of a soldier in war. The Latvian War Museum is one of the oldest museums in Latvia. Its origins can be found in World War I. Museum’s collection was made up mainly of personal items of soldiers or items found on battlefields. After Latvia gained its independence the main goal of the museum became to create an exposition on the military history of Latvia and the active role of the population in protecting their land. In 1937 the museum was expanded and was technically one of the most modern museums in Europe at that time. The Powder Tower was one of the fortification towers of Riga. Some evidence dates back to 1330 where it has been mentioned as the ‘Sand Tower’. The tower was destroyed in 1621 when Riga was besieged by the Swedish Army. But in 1650 a new tower for storing gunpowder and weapons was built. After the city’s fortifications were taken down, the Powder Tower remains as one of the most important pieces of evidence of the Riga defence system.
Karostos karinis kalėjimas
Liepojos Karostos kalėjimas yra vienintelis karinis kalėjimas Europoje, atviras turistams. Pastatytas apie 1900 m. ligoninės reikmėms, pastatas niekada nebuvo naudojamas pagal pradinę paskirtį. Statinys buvo perskirtas kaip vieta laikinoms drausminėms nuobaudoms atlikti ir buvo naudojamas iki 1997 m.
Keitėsi galios, tačiau įstaigos paskirtis liko ta pati – apgyvendinti kalinius, tarp jų revoliucionierius, Rusijos caro armijos jūrininkus ir puskarininkius, vokiečių dezertyrus, Stalino laikų žmonių priešus, sovietų ir latvių armijų karius. Karostos kalėjimas šiuo metu atviras lankytojams, čia vyksta ekskursijos su gidu. Ekskursijos parodo kalėjimą, o lankytojai gali susipažinti su jo istorija, apžiūrėti kalėjimą ir bausmės kameras bei išgirsti įdomių ir net vaiduokliškų pasakojimų apie gyvenimą kalėjime. Drąsesnės sielos turi galimybę žaisti realybės žaidimą „Už grotų“ arba bandyti išeiti iš uždarų patalpų. O tie, kurie nepažįsta baimės, gali nakvoti kalėjimo kameroje. Karostos kalėjime veikia Karostos lankytojų centras, sovietmečio bufetas, suvenyrų parduotuvė. Gido paslaugos teikiamos visoje Karostoje.
Treasure House of the Free State
A unique exposition on the history of military and civil awards of the first free state of Latvia, as well as various organizations related to the activities of state and civil organizations in the period from the Latvian War of Independence to the Second World War.
Several hundred different historical evidences from Latvian and foreign private collections are exhibited in the exhibition house, covering the period from 1918 to 1940, revealing the pages of the history of Latgale and Rēzekne.
Preiļi Museum of History and Applied Arts exhibition "Jāzeps Baško - air coachman"
It is located in Preiļi 1st primary school premises.
The exhibition "Jāzeps Baško - air driver" was created in 2014 and is dedicated to the 125th birthday of the outstanding local man, aviator, commander of the "Iļja Muromec" squadron, organizer of the Latvian Air Force, general Jāzeps Baško and the 100th anniversary of World War I. The exhibition of the museum's collection is designed as a design object - a 6-fold reduced model of the "Ilya Muromec" airplane, on which information can be found in the form of texts and images. The exhibition is enriched by deposits from the collections of the Latvian War Museum and newly acquired information from the Latvian State History Archive, the Spilve Aviation Museum and materials from the private archives of individual individuals.
Mandatory prior application by calling T. 65322731, T. 25640398. Tour in English and Russian is possible. You can go to the exhibition "Jāzeps Baško - Air Driver" from the Museum of History and Applied Arts.
Exhibition "Latvian Army in Pļaviņas in the 20th Century"
The exhibition features information stands with historical photographs, maps, and information about the establishment of the Latvian Eastern Front Headquarters. The composition of the exhibition is made up of interior elements corresponding to historical events.
The exhibition “Latvian Army in Pļaviņas in the 20th Century” is located in Pļaviņas, Odzienas Street 2, a historical building where the headquarters of the Latvian Eastern Front was located in July 1919 during the War of Independence. The two-story building has a rectangular layout with a gable roof, the building is built of red brick. Today, the second floor of the building has survived from the original facade, with visible window openings. Today, the facade of the first floor of the building has been plastered and painted, the ancient window openings have been expanded and the shop windows of the “Lats” store have been inserted. On the second floor, plastic windows have been installed in the window openings instead of the historical wooden windows.
The building has a long history – from the time when Stukmaņi wholesaler Hugo Apeltofts began active economic activities there, thus contributing to the development of the town of Pļaviņa.
In 1934, a memorial plaque was unveiled near this house with the inscription: “In 1919, the Eastern Front headquarters was located in this house, and here General Jānis Balodis assumed the supreme command of the Latvian National Army.” The Soviet government removed and destroyed it in 1940, but on June 16, 1990, with the support of the Pļaviņa branch of the Latvian National Liberation Army, it was restored.
Now, near the former headquarters building, there is a memorial stele dedicated to the 15 Cavaliers of the Lāčplēsis War Order born in the Pļaviņa region. After the Bolsheviks were driven out, the building was taken over by the Latvian Army in 1925, which housed the headquarters of the Latgale Division. 10 generals and other officers of the Latvian Army spent their military careers in this building. In 1940, the building was taken over by the Red Army. In the post-war years, it housed a school, as well as the municipality. Around 1970, the building began to be used by the production association “Rīgas Apērbs”.
Visiting the exhibition must be booked in advance by calling Tel. +371 28442692.
Latgale Artillery Regiment Army Barracks
The Latgale Artillery Regiment Army Barracks were built as a three-story modern building according to the project of architect Verners Vitands in 1931. This monolithic reinforced concrete building was one of the first in Latvia. They have survived, located in the territory of the Krustpils Manor, next to the castle park. Today, the three-story building that has survived is the unmanaged property of the Jēkabpils municipality. Window openings without windows, entry into the building is not possible, the building can be viewed from the outside. The municipality has carried out roof replacement work. In the future, it is planned to renovate the building by placing various organizations there, and hand it over to entrepreneurs for use.
The Latgale Artillery Regiment consisted of two divisions, each division had two cannon and one howitzer battery, totaling 16 cannons and eight howitzers in the regiment. The remaining artillery units assigned to the regiment were stored in preserved warehouses and were intended for the formation of a third division in case of war.
Riga Garrison Army Tent Camp
Now there are bushes and thickets here, but in the thirties of the last century, the Riga garrison army summer camp was located here. In some places you can still see what look like rectangular ramparts. In these places there were soldiers' tents, arranged in four long rows, with small streets in the middle. At the ends of the rows stood the logos of the garrison units - they were cast from concrete, but the ornaments and inscriptions were made of small, colorful stones. The ramparts around the tents were necessary not only to retain moisture, but also for military purposes. If landing troops entered Mangaļsala, they would be used as trenches under the cover of which to protect the territory from the enemy. Although real military training was taking place here, a romantic idyll reigned in the air, which is also visible in photographs of the time. Young people played volleyball. In the courtyards of the officers' cottages, gazebos and flower beds were well-groomed. The soldiers were visited by their loved ones on weekends, bringing baskets of strawberries and fresh bread. Most meals were eaten outside at tables in the fresh air.
Army town
In this area, in the late 1920s and early 1930s, the Latvian army built an army camp for officers and soldiers who worked on Mangalsala. Later, the camp, along with the Mangalsala military base, became the property of the Soviet Union. Civilians without a certain status lived here, but later social apartments were created for low-income people. On the right side there was a football field and small gardens, but over time they turned into meadows and swamps. Later, private houses and a car service appeared here. Until the 1960s, Mangalsala was not part of Riga at all, but part of Mangali parish. At that time, people here were engaged in fishing or worked at the army base, because agriculture was practically impossible – the arable land area on Mangalsala is only 3.8%. Once upon a time, a narrow-gauge railway ran through the camp right along Mangalsala Street, but the street itself was paved. Now the pavement is hidden under a layer of asphalt. At the end of the road is the port area and the former military pier. Army ships were once moored there, and footbridges were built between them.
Can be seen from the outside, walking along Mangaļsalas Street.
Susijusi istorija
Apie pirmąjį Latvijos kariuomenės vadą Dāvidą Sīmansoną
Knygoje „Latvijos kariuomenės vadai“ esantys rašiniai įtikina, kad istorijai didelę įtaką daro konkretūs asmenys. Nors svarbiausių istorinių įvykių epicentre jie buvo neilgai, tikri Latvijos patriotai, turėdami turtingą karinę patirtį, sugebėjo daug nuveikti formuojant ir stiprinant Latvijos kariuomenę bei istorinių įvykių lūžio momentuose.
Ši istorija pasakoja apie pirmąjį Latvijos kariuomenės vadą Dāvidą Sīmansoną (1859-1933).
In memory of Pēteris Radziņš, General of the Latvian Army, two-time Knight of the Lāčplēsis War Order
General Pēteris Radziņš, born in Lugka Parish, Valka District, in a simple farmer's family, where he learned to do field work. He was a very smart young man, after graduating from school he decided in favor of the war and it started his army rescue of Latvia from Bermont's troops. P.Radziņš was one of the most outstanding officers of the Latvian Army and was awarded with numerous Latvian and foreign orders and memorials.
Army presence in Mangalsala
I remember vivid impressions about the presence of the Latvian army in Mangalsala. The forts as well as the reinforced concrete fortification built by Sapieri are described. Memories describe the daily life of soldiers, the rhythm of life and illustrate the environment in Mangalsala. Visit of soldiers of Mangalsala and Latvian army
Memories of the beginning of the establishment of the War Museum
The narrator describes the conditions under which the War Museum was established. Problems and collection work are mentioned.
United Aviation Festival - a real national holiday
The narrator describes one of the most popular and widely attended events in Latvia - the Aviation Festival in Spilve. Describes the course and scope of the festival. The popularity of aviation in Latvia is emphasized.
Par Sudrabkalniņa atklāšanas svētkiem
Atmiņu stāsta izvilkums no ģenerāļa Jāņa Baloža uzrunas Sudrabkalniņa pieminekļa atklāšanas dienā. Pilnā tekstā ir atstāsts par atklāšanas pasākuma norisi, Valsts prezidenta Kārļa Ulmaņa un ģenerāļa Jāņa Baloža uzrunas. Atmiņas izvēlētas, jo spilgti parāda to kādā stāvoklī bija Latvijas armija, kura cīnās Sudrabkalniņa apkaimē.
About Daugavgriva fortress
The narrator describes an event in the Daugavgrīva fortress during World War I, when it was bombed by an air force in the German army. The fortress was one of the strategic objects that remained important until the end of World War II.