Didieji I WW1, I Nepriklausomybės karai

PadomjuLatvijasvaldībaslocekļiRīga1919gadajan.jpg
Padomju Latvijas valdības locekļi. Rīga. 1919.gada janvāris. Avots: Latvijas kara muzejs.

Die Bolschewiki waren der radikale Flügel der Sozialdemokratischen Arbeiterpartei Russlands, die 1912 unter Wladimir Uljanow (Lenin) auf dem Parteitag die Mehrheit gewannen und sich von der Partei abspalteten, um die Sozialdemokratische Arbeiterpartei Russlands (Bolschewiki) zu gründen. Seitdem ist der Begriff „Große“ im Gegensatz zu „Kleinen“ oder Minderheiten eingeführt worden.

Die Großen unterschieden sich von den Kleinen sowohl in ideologischer als auch in parteiorganisatorischer Hinsicht. Die Bolschewiki glaubten, dass die Partei als zentralisierte Kampforganisation organisiert werden sollte. Bei der Rekrutierung von Mitgliedern war das Klassenprinzip strikt einzuhalten. Die Mitglieder der Partei mussten Disziplin wahren und sich strikt an die Entscheidungen der Parteiführung – des Zentralkomitees – halten. Die Grundstruktur der Partei musste von einer relativ kleinen Gruppe von Berufsrevolutionären gebildet werden. Lenin glaubte, dass die Industrie nicht in der Lage sei, sozialistische Forderungen allein zu entwickeln.

Die Bolschewiki glaubten, dass der Sozialismus nicht durch einen evolutionären (schrittweisen Reform-)Weg erreicht werden könne, sondern durch eine gewaltsame Revolution und die Diktatur des Proletariats als Übergangsregime vom Kapitalismus zum Sozialismus. Die Bolschewiki lehnten eine Zusammenarbeit mit den Bürgern (Bourgeoisie) entschieden ab und erlaubten sie nur in bestimmten Notfällen. Die Bolschewiki lehnten die parlamentarische Demokratie grundsätzlich ab, weil sie glaubten, sie sei im Interesse der Bourgeoisie. Sie setzten sich für eine klassische Vertretung der Werktätigen (Proletariat) im Gegensatz zu einer universalen Vertretung ein.

Am 7. November 1917 wurde in der russischen Hauptstadt Petrograd (dem heutigen St. Petersburg) durch den Putsch der Bolschewiki die von Alexander Kerenski geführte Provisorische Regierung ausgegraben und eine von Lenin geführte Sowjetregierung gebildet. Ende 1917 übernahm im bolschewistisch kontrollierten Teil Lettlands nach und nach die Macht das Exekutivkomitee des lettischen Rates der Arbeiter, Soldaten und landlosen Abgeordneten oder die Schule (abgekürzte Übersetzung des Namens ins Russische). Die neue Regierung startete radikale politische und soziale Reformen mit strenger Zensur.

Die sowjetische Herrschaft im unbesetzten Teil Lettlands dauerte nicht lange – sie dauerte nur wenige Monate. Als Deutschland die Feindseligkeiten an der Ostfront wieder aufnahm und Ende Februar 1918 das gesamte Gebiet Lettlands besetzte, wurde das bolschewistische Regime in Vidzeme und Latgale gestürzt. Die Bolschewiki und die treuesten Schützen flohen nach Russland.

In diesen wenigen Monaten konnte ein Teil der lettischen Bevölkerung das bolschewistische Regime direkt kennenlernen. Die Aktivitäten der Schule zeigten eine Reihe von Trends, die ein Jahr später nach der Rückkehr der Bolschewiki voll zum Tragen kamen. Diese waren: die Undemokratie des Regimes, die Machtkonzentration in den Händen eines engen Kreises von Parteifunktionären; der Abbau demokratisch gewählter Institutionen und der Kampf gegen die Meinungsfreiheit; die Wiederbelebung des Klassenkampfprinzips, das zu Repressionen gegen ganze Gruppen der Gesellschaft geführt hat; Wirtschaftsreformen in Form von Teilverstaatlichungen von Unternehmen, Beschlagnahme von Gutshöfen und einem Kurs zur Verstaatlichung sämtlichen Eigentums und Bodens.

Die Bolschewistische Partei betrachtete die Einführung des Kommunismus als ihr Ziel und benannte sie nach dem Putsch von 1917 in Russische Kommunistische (Bolschewistische) Partei um und behielt den Namen bis 1925. Von 1925 bis 1952 hieß die Partei Allunionskommunistische (Bolschewistische) Partei und von 1952 bis 1991 hieß sie „Kommunistische Partei der Sowjetunion“. 1991 wurde die Partei in der Russischen Föderation aufgelöst.

PadomjuLatvijasarmijas1pulkastrēlniekiRīgā191.jpg
PadomjuLatvijasvaldībaslocekļiRīga1919gadajan.jpg
ValmierasapriņķaStrādniekukareivjuunbezzemnie.png
Daugiau informacijos šaltinių

1. Lettische Bolschewiki. Veröffentlicht auf dem Portal ir.lv, 03.01.2018. Verfügbar: https://ir.lv/2018/01/03/latviesu-lielinieki/ [Zugriff: 06.05.2021.].

2. Šiliņš J. "Lielinieki". Nationale Enzyklopädie. Verfügbar: https://enciklopedija.lv/skirklis/88272-lielinieki [Zugriff am 06.05.2021].

3. Šiliņš J. Doktorarbeit „Military and Political Development of Soviet Latvia (December 1918 - June 1919)“, 2012. Verfügbar unter: https://dspace.lu.lv/dspace/handle/7/4674 [gesehen: 06.05 .2021].

4. Der Schneesturm der Seelen. Digitales Museum. Verfügbar: https://www.dveseluputenis.lv/lv/laika-skala/notikums/85/ziemassvetku-kauju-sakums/ [Zugriff: 06.05.2021].

Susijusios vietos

Exhibition in the KGB Building "History of KGB Operations in Latvia"

The former USSR State Security Committee (commonly known as Cheka) building is open for visitors. Here chekists imprisoned, interrogated and murdered Latvian citizens who were considered opponents by the occupation regime. There is also an exhibit from the Latvian Occupation Museum on the activities of Cheka in Latvia. Guided tours of the prison cells, corridors, basement and courtyard are available. The house was built in 1911 and it is one of the most beautiful buildings in Riga. Called the ‘Corner House’ by the people, it was the scariest symbol of the Soviet occupation regime in Latvia, and also one of the pillars of power of the USSR. Cheka operated from the Corner House during the occupation from 1940 to 1941 and then again from 1945 to 1991. Tens of thousands of Latvians were affected by direct political persecution. The fight against enemies of Soviet rule continued also after World War II. Cheka’s approach towards its operation slightly changed after Stalin’s death. Physical torture was replaced by psychological terror. The majority of Cheka agents were Latvians (52%). Russians were the second largest group – 23.7%. 60.3% of the agents were not members of the Communist Party. 26.9% of the agents had higher education. The system was designed in a way to involve local people and thus have greater control over the society. Staff documents and service records are located in Russia. And these materials have not been made available to Latvian authorities and researchers.

Memorial stone for the green partisans

It is located at the corner of Parka and Saules streets in Ergļi, near the railway viaduct.

On May 23, 1919, the green partisans attacked a column of Vezumniki of the greats in the center of Ergli. The battle lasted two hours, and the partisans got 78 horses and many carts with rifles and other goods. Four partisans died in the battle, and one was injured. In total, 61 men fought in the ranks of the partisans in the county, six of whom died.

On May 21, 1939, a memorial stone of the 121st Eagle Regiment was opened in the village of Eagles at the place where the green partisans Jānis Andriksons, Andrejs Bumbers, Kārlis Baņgieris and Jānis Gūts fell on May 23, 1919.

During the Soviet occupation, the memorial sign at the intersection of Parka and Saules streets was demolished. It was restored and re-installed on April 22, 1989.

Iron bridge over Gauja in Valmiera

It is located in Valmiera, near the Gīme nature trail on Leona Paegles street.

The steel construction iron bridge over the Gauja was built in 1911. It connected the 114 km long route Ainaži-Valmiera-Smiltene, which was last completed in 1971.

After the liberation of Riga, on May 22, 1919, parts of the Soviet Latvian army, without showing serious resistance, retreated along the entire front. On May 26, the Estonian National Army and the Northern Latvian Brigade led by Colonel Jorģs Zemitān occupied Valmiera. "The bigots blew up the railway bridge around six o'clock in the afternoon. At 7:50 both wooden bridges were also set on fire. This did not prevent Estonian troops from entering the city from the side of the Valmiera manor in the evening of the same day* [..]"

Today, the iron bridge is a favorite place for recreation and walking and a section of the "Green Railway" bicycle route.

* The cadet company of the 6th Estonian Infantry Regiment was the first to arrive, accompanied by several armored vehicles.

Memorial stele for the knights of the War Order of Lāčplēš

It is located next to the Roman Catholic Church of the Heart of Jesus in Viļaka.

The memorial stele for the knights of the Lāčplēš War Order in Viļakas region was opened on November 11, 2017. The destinies of 28 Lāčplēš Knights of the Military Order are connected with the name of Viļakas county.
The granite stele was created as part of the project "Remember Lāčplēšus" dedicated to the centenary of the Latvian state. Commemorative stelae of a uniform model will be installed throughout Latvia in honor of the soldiers who died in the Latvian Freedom Struggle. The initiator of the project is the Jaunsardze and Information Center.

Five knights of the Lāčplēš War Order, whose names are engraved on the memorial stele, lived in the territory of the present-day Viļakas district after the end of the Freedom Struggle:
– Jānis Kuļšs was a young farmer in Apsīs, Šķilbēni parish,
– Aleksej Lyubimov (Lavrentiev) lived on the Fortepianova farm in Šķilbēni parish, later in Vilaka,
– Teodors Mende managed the farm assigned to him and was a forest guard in the village of Katleši, Žigur parish,
– Eduard Tennyson lived at Vecumu station, later lived in Chabatrova village and worked at p/s "Viļaka",
– Jānis Burmeisters after 1928 lived in Šķilbēni parish for some time.

The brothers' cemetery in Viļakas county is the resting place of 45 soldiers who gave their lives in 1920, defending Latvia from bigots. January 9 was the day when the attacks began in North Latgale, and despite the difficult weather conditions at that time, Viļaka was also liberated on the same day.
In the battles for the liberation of Latgale, Estonian soldiers also fought side by side with Latvian army soldiers and partisans against the Red Army in Viļakas county. Many of them gave their lives for a free Latvia.

Gulbene Railway Station

The Gulbene Railway Station is located in the city of Gulbene. During World War I, in 1916 to 1917, the narrow-gauge railway line to Pļaviņas was reconstructed to 1,524 mm width to ensure that it can serve as a connection to the Rīga-Daugavpils line. In addition, a railway line to Ieriķi and to Sita was constructed, thereby establishing a connection with Pytalovo. As a result, Gulbene became a railway hub. The current station building by architect Pēteris Feders was constructed in 1926. During the War of Independence, on 31 May 1919, when Gulbene was liberated from the Bolsheviks, the 1st (4th) Valmiera Infantry Regiment collected a significant number of war trophies here. On 14 June 1941, both civilians and Latvian Army officers arrested in the Litene Summer Camp were deported from the Gulbene Railway Station. As a key hub, it was bombed in the spring of 1944. After the war, it was restored to its original form. An educational and interactive centre named ‘Railway and Steam’ was opened in 2018. Next to the Gulbene station is the company SIA Gulbenes – Alūksnes bānītis, which offers interactive lessons and tours. Visitors have access to the station building and platform, a memorial plaque and a monument to the repressed ones by sculptor Indulis Ranka.

Battle of Skrunda Memorial and Flag Day

The Skrunda Battle Memorial is located in the centre of Skrunda, in Oskaras Kalpaka Park near the Skrunda Culture House, at the intersection of Kuldīgas and Liepājas Streets. In 2005, a stone was erected at the memorial commemorating the battle of 29 January 1919, when the battalion commanded by Oskars Kalpaks, together with the German and Russian units of the Landeswehr, liberated Skrunda from the Bolsheviks. The tradition of Flag Day has been maintained since 2004, commemorating the first town liberated from the Bolsheviks and its liberators, who raised the Latvian flag at the Skrunda church on 29 January 1919.

During the first months of the War of Independence, the Latvian Provisional Government, under pressure from the Bolsheviks, was rapidly losing territory. On 22 January 1919, the Bolsheviks captured Skrunda. A week later, in the early hours of 29 January, the offensive to recapture Skrunda began. The Latvian Separate Battalion under Lieutenant Colonel Oskars Kalpaks was to attack along the Rudbāržu-Skrunda highway and drive the Bolsheviks out of Skrunda. This would be followed by a flank attack by German units with the task of destroying the advancing enemy, while the Russian company would attack between the Latvian and German units, using the Skrunda church as a landmark. The attack was also supported by a German artillery battery. On the day of the attack, the frost was 15 degrees, the sun shone brightly, the Kalpaks had to cross a clear field, and the Bolsheviks were sheltering in the stone buildings of the manor. The Bolsheviks opened fire when the chain of attackers was about 300 metres away, a two-way firefight broke out, and the soldiers under Oskars Kalpaks' command advanced in a rapid advance, forcing the enemy to cease fire and retreat across the Venta. After about 3 hours of fighting, Skrunda was captured at about 9am, with the Latvian Separate Battalion having only 2 wounded.

The Battle of Skrunda was of great importance for the morale of the Latvian Provisional Government's armed Spek soldiers, as it was in fact the first significant victory in the battles against the Bolsheviks. Moreover, the commander himself, Oskars Kalpaks, showed particular courage in the battle, encouraging the soldiers by his example not to be afraid.
 

Jaunmuiža and the 1st Latvian Separate Battalion

Nowadays Jaunmuiža, formerly Jaunāmuiža, is a populated place in Kuldīga Municipality and is located on the road Skrunda - Ezere, 7 kilometres. The settlement was established on the site of the former half-manor house of Jaunā manor (Neuhof).

On 3 March 1919, an intense battle took place for this place between units of the 1st Latvian Separate Battalion led by Colonel Oskars Kalpaks and units of the 2nd Soviet Latvian Rifle Regiment.

On 3 March 1919, Operation Tauwetter (Thaw), the liberation of Courland, began, in which the VI Reserve Corps of the German Army, with the Landeswehr and its 1st Latvian Battalion, launched an offensive across the front with the intention of pushing the Bolshevik units back to Lielupe. In the early morning of 3 March, units of the 1st Latvian Separate Battalion - Cēsis Company, Student Company and Cavalry Division, reinforced by the artillery battery of German Hauptmann Müller, crossed the Venta at Lėnai and attacked the Jaunai Manor, defended by the 2nd Battalion of the 2nd Soviet Latvian Rifle Regiment. During the several-hour-long battle, gradually occupying the houses in the vicinity of Jaunā muiza, Kalpaka's commanded units reached Jaunā muiza and intercepted the Skrunda-Pampali highway, interrupting the enemy's movement and pushing the enemy eastwards. In Jaunāmuiža the battalion received stationery and ammunition as trophies. Taking up positions in nearby houses the battalion fortified itself. On 5 March the Bolshevik counter-attack began, which was stopped by the evening. On 6 March the battalion resumed the attack, taking the Skrunda school and advancing towards the Airite - Aizupji area.

Lēnu Manor

The manor castle is located in the village of Lēnu, by the Venta River. The castle is currently privately owned and can therefore only be seen from a distance.

The manor house was used as a support point by the 1st Latvian Separate Battalion from the end of January to 3 March 1919.  The Latvian Separate Battalion had to liberate the surroundings of Leni Manor in order to be able to cross the river opposite Jaunmuiža. 

The manor belonged to Baron Friedrich von Firks, who also owned the Rudbāržzi and Sieksate manors. The manor house was built in the 19th century.  For the Baron, the castle of Lēnu served mainly as a place for hunting and weekend relaxation. 

From 1927 to 1937 the castle was a school, and during the Soviet occupation it was a collective farm woodshop. In 1965, a community centre was opened. The ensemble of buildings has suffered many alterations and the park has not been preserved. Several outbuildings have survived. 

Memorial to the 1st Latvian Separate Battalion in Lėnai and relocation site on the Venta

The monument is located in Lēņi, at a road crossroads near Lēņi Manor.

The monument was unveiled on 8 November 2007. It was designed by sculptor Maija Engele. The author and financier of the monument is Jānis Blūms, whose father, Lieutenant Paulis Blūms, 1st Lieutenant of the 1st Separate Latvian Battalion Cavalry Division, organised and led the river crossing on 3 March 1919 with the help of 10 men.

Every year on 3 March, young guards, servicemen and other interested persons gather here for a commemorative event in honour of the 1st Latvian Separate Battalion.

Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church in Lēni

The church is located in the village of Lēnu, Nīkrāce parish, Skrunda municipality, on the Skrunda - Embute road.

The Venta River is located near the church, the banks of which were guarded by soldiers of the 1st Separate Latvian Battalion in February 1919. As the battalion's numbers did not allow for a continuous front line, the front was guarded by sentry posts. One of them was also located on the bank of the river near the church. The church towers were useful for surveillance of the surrounding area and the other side of the river.

Battle at Skrunda school

Skrunda School is located in Pumpuri, at km 3 of the Skrunda - Ezeres road. The school is privately owned and can therefore be viewed from a distance. 

In January and March 1919, the 1st Latvian Separate Battalion fought with units of the 2nd Latvian Rifle Regiment of Soviet Latvia near the school.

The battle near Skrunda School took place on 22 January 1919. In the face of the retreating Bolshevik superiority, German and Latvian units positioned themselves on the western bank of the Venta, while Bolshevik forces gathered in Saldus in preparation for a wider operation, at the same time sending some of their forces in the direction of Skrunda. In order to seize the initiative and try to defeat the Bolshevik forces piecemeal, on 22 January the Cēsis Company of the 1st Latvian Separate Battalion, reinforced by 15 soldiers of the Officers' Company and the German Raden Company in the Skrunda sector of the front, had to attack towards Saldus. The Skrunda School was designated as the assembly point for both companies. However, during the preparatory phase of the attack, both companies were surprised by a Bolshevik attack, which forced the German and Latvian units to retreat to Rudbārži.

The second clash at Skrunda School took place on 6 March 1919, when the Cēsis and Student Companies of the battalion commanded by Colonel Oskars Kalpaks surprised the enemy and captured Skrunda School and continued to advance towards Dutēni, Engurnieki and Airīte.

On the side of the Skrunda-Ezeres road, near the school, where the road crosses the Klūga river, there is a small, ancient stone bridge from the late 19th century with two semi-arched arches for the river to pass through. The road leading over the bridge used to be used in the past, but is now gradually becoming overgrown with grass as the adjacent tarmac road and bridge are now used. From this bridge, the stone bridge offers a magnificent view, enriched by the rocky riverbed and the banks covered with thick trees. The site is visually very attractive and suitable for cycling or walking routes. 
 

Monument to Cēsis ornaments at the site of the first battle

Located in Drabešu parish, 79th kilometer of Vidzeme highway.

A monument made of granite can be seen, in which a stylized scheme of the invasion of the Bolsheviks was carved.
The monument has been discovered and consecrated. December 28, 2018. In Drabešu Parish, on December 24, 1918, the reconnaissance team of Captain Artūrs Jansons (1893 - 1941) prevented the Red Army scouts from moving from Cēsis to Ieriķi with a heavy machine gun fire. It was the first armed clash of Latvian troops with the Red Army of Soviet Russia.

Susijusi istorija

Liberation of Northern Latgale from the Bolsheviks

On December 1, 1918, parts of the Red Army, based on the Red Rifle units, invaded the territory of Latvia. In order to protect their homes, families, native counties and escape from terror, the men around Balvi took up arms and went into the forests, and the first "green" groups began to form. In the spring of 1919, when the mobilization was announced, many men in the Balvi area were not allowed to fight in the Soviet Latvian army and they joined the "green" groups. Balvi, Silakrog, Rugāji, Teteru-Dūrupe and Liepna groups were formed. In the vicinity of Balvi, the activity of "green" groups became more active in March 1919.

Apie tautos patriotą pirmąjį leitenantą Vilį Gelbį

Pulkininko leitenanto Vilio Gelbės (1890-1919) likimas atspindi sunkią mūsų valstybės ir kariuomenės formavimosi situaciją bei šių įvykių vertinimą.
1918 m. lapkričio 18 d. paskelbus Latvijos valstybę, prasidėjo ir jos Nepriklausomybės karas bei ginkluotųjų pajėgų kūrimo darbai. Latvių karių savanorių priešakyje buvo Kuržemėje gimęs karinio jūrų laivyno leitenantas Vilis Gelbė.

Apie Latvijos nepriklausomybės karą ir 1918 metų įvykius Alūksnėje

1918 m., vokiečių kariuomenei įžengus į Alūksnę, latvių šaulių batalionai pasitraukė į Sovietų Rusiją. Iki 1918 m. gruodžio pradžios įsitvirtino vokiškas režimas ir buvo vykdomos pertvarkos. Vokietijai pasidavus kare, bolševikai grįžo į Alūksnę ir atkūrė savo valdžią. Suomijos savanoriai taip pat kovojo Latvijos nepriklausomybės kare kaip Estijos kariuomenės dalis. 1919 m. vasario 21 d. Alūksnėje, prie stoties, vyko įnirtingos kautynės tarp bolševikų ir suomių savanorių pulko „Šiaurės berniukai“.

Apie Latvijos nepriklausomybės karą ir 1919 metų įvykius Alūksnėje

1919 m. kovo 27 d. 1-asis Valmieros pėstininkų pulkas kartu su Estijos gvardijos (kaitselit) Talino (tuomet Rėvelės) ir Tērbato batalionais bei trimis šarvuotaisiais traukiniais nuo Melnupės upės krantų pradėjo Latvijos išvadavimą nuo bolševikų.

Anšlavo Eglītio prisiminimai apie Latvijos nepriklausomybės karą ir 1919 metų įvykius Alūksnėje

1919 m. kovo 27 d. 1-asis Valmieros pėstininkų pulkas kartu su Estijos gvardijos (kaitselit) Talino (tuomet Rėvelės) ir Tērbato batalionais bei trimis šarvuotaisiais traukiniais nuo Melnupės upės krantų pradėjo Latvijos išvadavimą nuo bolševikų.

Suomijos savanorių pulko „Šiaurės berniukai“ mūšis Bejoje

1919 metų vasario 23 dieną suomių savanorių pulko „Šiaurės berniukai“ žvalgybos dalinys, tikėdamasis gauti papildomų ginklų ir amunicijos, atvyko į Beja School upės daubą, kur įvyko susirėmimas su bolševikais (Babeckos mūšis). Šiame mūšyje krito 10 suomių pulko karių.

7. Siguldos pėstininkų pulko formavimas

1919 m. birželio 20 d. Naukšėnų dvare, Rūjienos apylinkėse, pagal Šiaurės Latvijos brigados vado pulkininko Jorgio Zemitano įsakymą pradėtas formuoti 7-asis Siguldos pėstininkų pulkas. Iš pradžių iš Šiaurės Latvijos brigados rezervinio bataliono buvo suformuota nedidelė kovinė grupė, kurią sudarė 22 karininkai ir 1580 karių, kuri pirmojo vado Oskaro Dankerio garbei buvo pavadinta Dankerio divizija. Po kelių dienų dalinys buvo įtrauktas į 3-iojo Jelgavos pulko 2-ąjį batalioną, o rugpjūčio 23 d., papildžius kuopa, į 7-ąjį Siguldos pėstininkų pulką.

Excerpt from the founding of the Northern Latvian Army on the Rūjiena side

The Army of Northern Latvia was a Latvian military formation during the Latvian War of Independence, which was established on the territory of Estonia and in the liberated regions of North Vidzeme from February 3 to March 31, 1919. Until July 1919, the brigade was subordinate to the Estonian Armed Forces Headquarters and the Commander-in-Chief of the Estonian Army in terms of logistics and operations. It was then merged with the Southern Latvian Brigade to form the Latvian Army.

The beginning, course and end of the battles of Cēsis

The victory in the battles of Cēsis was destined to become a turning point in the struggle of Latvians and Estonians for the independence of their country. This victory crossed the line between Andriev Niedra's government and German General Riediger von der Goltz's plans to conquer the Baltics. Instead, the Provisional Government of Kārlis Ulmanis resumed its activities in Liepāja.

 
1. Crossing of the Latvian Separate Battalion Venta on March 3, 1919

One of the main challenges for the units of the 1st Latvian Separate Battalion was to cross the frozen river Venta and build a road across it.

Memories of Captain Alexander Leving on the reconnaissance of the Venta near Lena

In February 1919, both sides of the Venta River were active in reconnaissance activities. Captain Alexander Loeving, Chief of the Cavalry Division, was one of the commanders of the reconnaissance raids.

Battle at Skrunda School on January 22, 1919

Memories of Lieutenant Commander Jānis Ķīselis about the battles at Skrunda School on 22 January 1919

From Adolf Ers' book "Vidzeme in the Freedom Fights" about the life of refugees in Valka

From the time of the refugees, Valka agreed to play a more important role than other cities in Vidzeme, because the politically active newspaper Līdums was located here, where Latvia's spiritual and political weapons were minted, and also because there was a crossroads where roads from three On the Latvian side: from Riga, Alūksne, Mozekile, and also from Estonia and Russia, she had links with refugees everywhere - in Tartu, Pliskava, Moscow and St. Petersburg. There was a large refugee center here.

How the men of the Latvian government fooled the co-runners of the Pampali Bolsheviks

The former director of the Pampāli school (until 1959) Alfred Brūns has hand-printed an impressive book about the history of the Pampāli school and historical events around it with authentic photographs. In the book, A. Brūns describes the events of the War of Independence in Pampāli, describing in detail the events involved both Latvian statesmen, Bolshevik supporters, actions of the German army, etc.