Šiaurės Latvijos brigada I Nepriklausomybės karai

Šiaurės Latvijos brigada buvo Latvijos karinė formacija Latvijos nepriklausomybės karo metu, kuri buvo suformuota 1919 m. vasario ir kovo mėn. Latvijos ir Estijos vyriausybių atstovų susitarimu Estijos teritorijoje ir Estijos kariuomenės išlaisvintuose Šiaurės Vidžemės regionuose.
Vasario 3 dieną Latvijos gynybos ministras Jānis Zālītis paskyrė Jorģis Zemitāns visų Latvijos karių Estijoje ir Šiaurės Latvijoje organizatoriumi ir vadu, o inžinierius Markas Gailītis – jo įgaliotu atstovu civiliniuose reikaluose. Per trumpą laiką buvo suformuotas 1-asis Valmieros pėstininkų pulkas, kuris kovo pabaigoje išėjo į frontą. Kovo 31 d. Estijos kariuomenės vyriausiojo vado įsakymu buvo įkurta Šiaurės Latvijos brigada, kuriai vadovauja pulkininkas Zemitāns, kurios štabas yra Tartu. Zemitanas savo padėjėju paskyrė pulkininką leitenantą Edvardą Kalninį, kuris vadovavo ir artilerijai. Štabo viršininkas buvo pulkininkas leitenantas Voldemaras Ozolsas. Iki 1919 metų liepos brigada logistikos ir operacijų atžvilgiu buvo pavaldi Estijos ginkluotųjų pajėgų štabui ir Estijos kariuomenės vyriausiajam vadui.
1919 m. gegužės pabaigoje Šiaurės Latvijos brigadą sudarė 1-asis Valmieros pulkas su 1100 kareivių, 2-asis Cėsių pulkas su 1700 kareivių, partizanų pulkas su 200 kareivių, viena eskadrilė su 50 kavalerijos karių ir 1-asis Valmieras 21-osios baterijos baterijos ists. Iš viso jį sudarė 110 karininkų ir 3400 kareivių. Brigadai trūko ginklų, daugelis karių iš pradžių dėvėjo civilius drabužius ir dėvėjo batus arba vaikščiojo basi.
Nuo 1919 metų balandžio pradžios Šiaurės Latvijos brigada kartu su Estijos kariuomene kovojo prieš bolševikų Raudonąją armiją, kad išlaisvintų Vidžemę. Birželio mėnesį Šiaurės Latvijos brigada dalyvavo Cėsių mūšyje prieš Baltijos Landesverą ir Geležinę diviziją, kuriame kartu su Estijos kariuomene iškovojo pergalę. Liepos 3 dieną pasirašius Strazdumuižos paliaubas, Šiaurės Latvijos brigada į Rygą įžengė liepos 6 d.
1919 m. liepos mėn., kai buvo suformuota vieninga Latvijos kariuomenė, Šiaurės Latvijos brigada buvo pertvarkyta į Vidžemės diviziją.
Daugiau informacijos šaltinių
Erikas Jacobsonas. Latvijos nepriklausomybės karas. Latvijos laikinosios vyriausybės ir jos ginkluotųjų pajėgų kova dėl Latvijos nepriklausomybės nuo 1918 11 18 iki 1920 08 11. – Nacionalinė enciklopedija: https://enciklopedija.lv/skirklis/22216-Latvijas-Neatkar%C4%ABbas-kar%C5%A1
Šiaurės Latvijos brigada. Vikipedija. https://lv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zieme%C4%BClatvijas_brig%C4%81de
Laisvės kova: Latvijos nepriklausomybės karas (1918–1920) Latvijos valstybės istorijos archyvo dokumentuose, 1 dalis, 1918–1919 lapkričio 18 d. 2016 m. balandžio 16 d., kompl. E. Jēkabsons ir J. Šiliņš, Ryga, Latvijos nacionalinis archyvas, 2019 m.
„Kova už laisvę: Latvijos nepriklausomybės karas (1918–1920) Latvijos valstybės istorijos archyvo dokumentuose“ 2 dalis. 1919 m. balandžio 16 d.–liepos 10 d., Ēkabsons ir J. Šiliņš, Ryga, Latvijos nacionalinis archyvas, 2019 m.
Susijusi laiko juosta
Susijusios vietos
Monument dedicated to the liberation of Rūjiena and the fallen soldiers of the Northern Latvian Brigade "Tālava Trumpeter"
Located in Rūjiena Center Square.
The three-meter-high image of an ancient Latvian guardian carved in gray Finnish granite, called the “Tālava trumpeter”, is placed on a three-meter-high granite pedestal, but the total height of the monument reaches 7.5 meters. In the initial sketches and models, K. Zemdega had placed a sword in his hands, which was later replaced by a trumpet. The monument was unveiled on August 15, 1937.
This monument reflects the difficult situation in the formation of our country and army, as well as in the assessment of these events. Immediately after the proclamation of the Latvian state, the Red Army invaded and the interim government of Kārlis Ulmanis established a refuge in Liepāja. In February 1919, with the help of the Estonian army, the liberation of Latvia from the north began and the first mobilization took place in the Rūjiena area for the Latvian troops formed in Tartu, which became the Northern Latvian Brigade under the command of Colonel Jorgis Zemitans. The Northern Latvian brigade fought not only against the Bolsheviks, but also against the Landeswehr and Iron Division in the battles of Cēsis. The soldiers of Northern Latvia, mobilized in the vicinity of Rūjiena, also fought in the subsequent battles for the War of Independence. After the war, the main laurels were won by General Jānis Balodis and the Southern Latvian Brigade he commanded, but he often forgot about the Northern Latvian Brigade. The monument to Rūjiena, which was planned in Rūjiena, was built for a long time, and the monument, unveiled in 1937, was officially popularized as a monument to the liberation of Rūjiena and the memory of fallen soldiers, not to mention the beginning of all regiments in Northern Latvia.
The monument is not only a popular sight for Latvian and Estonian tourists, which is to some extent a starting point for visiting several other places of remembrance of the War of Independence in Rūjiena, but "Tālavas taurētājs" is also a stopping place for Estonian and Latvian officials of various levels.
The monument to the liberation and fallen soldiers of Rūjiena, more commonly known as the “trumpet of Tālava”, was included in the list of cultural monuments protected by the state as an art monument of national significance on October 29, 1998 (monument protection registration number 4522).
Monument to the liberators of Northern Latvia
Located in the center of Placa by the Inčukalns - Valka highway (A3). Next to the bus stop and Straupe People's House.
The monument made by Teodors Zaļkalns to the liberators of Northern Latvia in 1919 at the Battle of Cēsis can be seen.
There are two limestone supports on the three-step base, on which the limestone block rests. In front of it, the lower part depicts a horse harnessed to a plow and a plow holding reins in his right hand and a sword in his left. A text engraved on the back of the monument, closed by lines by the poet Eduards Virza:
FOR THE RELEASES OF NORTHERN LATVIA
WHILE THE CEREALS ARE SEED IN THESE FIELDS
YOU WILL BE GLORIFIED AND HONORED
The monument was unveiled on November 8, 1931. President Alberts Kviesis took part in the opening.
Memorial stone to the liberators of Alūksne
Located in Alūksne, at the intersection of Helēnas and Alsviķu streets.
The memorial stone was unveiled on May 29, 1999, the 80th anniversary of the liberation of Alūksne. The stone forging was performed by the sculptor Ainārs Zelčs.
On March 31, 1919, a Northern Latvian brigade was founded in Tartu to liberate Vidzeme and Latgale. The brigade consisted of the combined 1st Valmiera and 2nd Cēsis Infantry Regiment, later also the Northern Latvian Partisan Regiment, two cavalry squadrons and two artillery batteries. On May 26, these forces occupied Valmiera, but on May 27, the 1st Valmiera Infantry Regiment together with the 2nd Estonian Cavalry Regiment attacked in the direction of Alūksne. The Bolsheviks were unable to repel further attacks and on May 29, 1919, Aluksne was liberated.
Monument in memory of the soldiers killed in the War of Independence
Located in Bertulis cemetery.
A monument to the soldiers who died in the Latvian War of Independence can be seen.
Discovered on August 4, 1934. The monument was designed by Teodors Šķiņķis and Luda Švalbe.
In front of the monument, which symbolizes the triumph of victory, there is a bronze sword, an oak leaf wreath and four stars (earrings), which symbolize four historical regions of Latvia - Vidzeme, Kurzeme, Zemgale and Latgale.
On the other side, which symbolizes the path of past suffering, a bronze cross is attached to the obelisk, which was originally wrapped in a wreath of barbed wire. The barbed wire used for the wreath was brought from Death Island.
The monument was restored in the summer of 1989 and all bronze details were remade.
Exhibition “Valka – the cradle of Latvia’s independence”
The Valka Local History Museum is located in Valka, on the right side of Rīgas street, in the historical building of the Vidzeme Parish School Teacher Training Seminary. From 1853 to 1890, the building was home to the Vidzeme Parish School Teacher Training Seminary. Until 1881, it was led by Jānis Cimze, a teacher and founder of Latvian choir culture. After the School Teacher Training Seminary was closed, the building served various educational, cultural and household needs for 80 years. The building has been home to the Valka Local History Museum since 1970. The museum’s permanent exhibit – ‘Valka, the Cradle of Latvia’s Independence’ – has been set up as a story about social and political events in Valka from 1914 to 1920 when Latvia became an independent state. The exhibit reflects the preparation leading up to the establishment of the Latvian state and the formation of the North Latvian Brigade in Valka. Through four senses, namely, the Road, the Council, the Headquarters and the Home, the exhibit focuses on topics related to the city of Valka, refugees, the founding of the Latvian Farmers’ Union (1917), the
Latvian Provisional National Council (1917), the Latvian Provisional National Theatre (1918), the Provisional Government of Soviet Latvia known as the Iskolat, the North Latvian Brigade (1919) and General Pēteris Radziņš. In addition to the traditional ways of showcasing collections, the exhibit makes use of interactive multimedia solutions.
Monument to the sea lieutenant, L.k.o.k. Vilis Gelb (1890-1919)
Located in Limbažu Jūras iela cemetery, Jūras iela 56, Limbaži
The monument opened on September 10, 1922 by the then President of Latvia Jānis Čakste, on which the dedication of the poet Viļas Plūdonis to Vilis Gelb is read:
"Compatriots who pass by me, light up in the love of the fatherland,
for the beloved fatherland, I pledge my life."
Vilis Gelbe (1890-1919) was born in Kurzeme, Zemīte parish, but he is also closely related to the Limbaži side, because at the beginning of the Latvian War of Independence, he returned to Latvia from St. Petersburg and joined the North Latvian Brigade.
In May 1919, V. Gelbi commanded Limbaži, he became the military commandant of the area and was able to inspire local men and also very young guys to join the army.
V. Gelbe's activity at that time in Limbaži and its surroundings was very important, his duties included not only maintaining order in the city and its surroundings, but also mobilization, providing food for soldiers and horses, and solving many other issues that cannot be included in orders and instructions. The Commandant's team organized by him acted as a coordinated mechanism to provide the North Latvian Brigade with the most effective assistance possible. The commander's team went to the aid of the regular army in special cases, and he set an example for the new soldiers. V. Gelbe was the first Latvian army officer who proposed to award his subordinates with the III class of the Order of Imanta. There was no order yet. Imanta's name appeared in the open only on March 20, 1920, when the minister of defense, Karls Ullman, was presented with an outline of the establishment of the military order. However, the name of Lāčplėš was chosen for the order.
Vilis Gelbe died during the battles of Cēsis - on June 19, 1919, during a reconnaissance. Later, Gelb was awarded the Láčplēš War Order, however, historians believe that his contribution has not been properly appreciated until now. This is mainly explained by Gelbe's membership in the Northern Latvian Brigade.
The so-called Southern Latvian brigade, which was initially commanded by Oskars Kaplak, later Jānis Balož, competed with the Northern Latvian brigade, which was commanded by Jorģs Zemitāns.
Iron bridge over Gauja in Valmiera
It is located in Valmiera, near the Gīme nature trail on Leona Paegles street.
The steel construction iron bridge over the Gauja was built in 1911. It connected the 114 km long route Ainaži-Valmiera-Smiltene, which was last completed in 1971.
After the liberation of Riga, on May 22, 1919, parts of the Soviet Latvian army, without showing serious resistance, retreated along the entire front. On May 26, the Estonian National Army and the Northern Latvian Brigade led by Colonel Jorģs Zemitān occupied Valmiera. "The bigots blew up the railway bridge around six o'clock in the afternoon. At 7:50 both wooden bridges were also set on fire. This did not prevent Estonian troops from entering the city from the side of the Valmiera manor in the evening of the same day* [..]"
Today, the iron bridge is a favorite place for recreation and walking and a section of the "Green Railway" bicycle route.
* The cadet company of the 6th Estonian Infantry Regiment was the first to arrive, accompanied by several armored vehicles.
Monument to the soldiers who died in the First World War and the Latvian War of Independence
Located on Baznīcas Street opposite St. Anne's Church.
A monument to the soldiers who died in the First World War and the Latvian War of Independence can be seen.
On May 1, 1923, a "Hero's Grove" was planted opposite the Mazsalaca Lutheran Church, where an oak tree was dedicated to each fallen. According to Likert, a total of 97 oaks were planted - 23 for the fallen in the War of Independence and 74 for the fallen in the First World War. However, the press at the time mentioned that 106 oaks had been planted.
On August 21, 1927, a concrete monument built by architect Pauls Kundziņš was unveiled in the Heroes' Square, in the construction of which the sculptor Vilhelms Treijs also participated.
The monument is located next to the church of St. Anne in Mazsalaca, which was built in a specially designated place to slide (58.6 m), the beautiful tower can be seen from afar. The church is well preserved, as it was neither destroyed nor adapted for any other use during the Soviet era.
Monument to the soldiers of the 7th Sigulda Infantry Regiment who died in the Latvian War of Independence
Located on the shores of Lake Alūksne, on the edge of Pleskavas Street (Kolberg Road).
On June 22, 1923, the President of Latvia, Jānis Čakste, unveiled a monument to the fallen soldiers of the 7th Sigulda Infantry Regiment. The monument is based on the design of the artist Jūlijs Miesnieks.
The soldiers of the regiment also improved and maintained the area around the monument. Soldiers gathered at the monument on the eve of the regiment's annual holiday, when the holy fire was lit, as well as on the day of the regiment's year after the parade and intercession in the garrison cemetery.
1940/1941 The Bolsheviks removed and destroyed the plaque in 1953, but the monument itself was demolished in 1953 and its stones were laid in the foundations of the corner of the barracks house.
At the beginning of the Awakening, in the autumn of 1989, the vicinity of the destroyed monument, which was still in the territory of the USSR occupation forces, was cleaned up. On November 11, a temporary granite memorial was unveiled at the former location of the monument, with the text: "The monument of the 7th Sigulda Infantry Regiment will be restored in this place on November 11, 1989."
Thanks to the initiative of U. Veldre, the head of the Alūksne Brothers Cemetery Committee, the restoration of the monument was started and on October 16, 2009 the restored monument was unveiled.
Unlike the original monument, a cross was created on the obelisk regiment instead of a chest sign. Both sculptures of the monument were wrought by the sculptor Ainars Zelcs. Both the part of the 22 original obelisk blocks found on the territory of the National Armed Forces Infantry School and the newly built blocks were used for the restored monument.
On June 20, 2019, as part of the centenary of the Sigulda Infantry Regiment, a memorial site and a granite memorial plaque to the fallen soldiers of the unit were unveiled at the foot of the monument hill. The memorial site was built with funds donated by the staff of the Infantry School of the National Armed Forces.
Susijusi istorija
Excerpt from the founding of the Northern Latvian Army on the Rūjiena side
The Army of Northern Latvia was a Latvian military formation during the Latvian War of Independence, which was established on the territory of Estonia and in the liberated regions of North Vidzeme from February 3 to March 31, 1919. Until July 1919, the brigade was subordinate to the Estonian Armed Forces Headquarters and the Commander-in-Chief of the Estonian Army in terms of logistics and operations. It was then merged with the Southern Latvian Brigade to form the Latvian Army.
The beginning, course and end of the battles of Cēsis
The victory in the battles of Cēsis was destined to become a turning point in the struggle of Latvians and Estonians for the independence of their country. This victory crossed the line between Andriev Niedra's government and German General Riediger von der Goltz's plans to conquer the Baltics. Instead, the Provisional Government of Kārlis Ulmanis resumed its activities in Liepāja.
Apie tautos patriotą pirmąjį leitenantą Vilį Gelbį
Pulkininko leitenanto Vilio Gelbės (1890-1919) likimas atspindi sunkią mūsų valstybės ir kariuomenės formavimosi situaciją bei šių įvykių vertinimą.
1918 m. lapkričio 18 d. paskelbus Latvijos valstybę, prasidėjo ir jos Nepriklausomybės karas bei ginkluotųjų pajėgų kūrimo darbai. Latvių karių savanorių priešakyje buvo Kuržemėje gimęs karinio jūrų laivyno leitenantas Vilis Gelbė.
Apie pirmąjį Latvijos kariuomenės vadą Dāvidą Sīmansoną
Knygoje „Latvijos kariuomenės vadai“ esantys rašiniai įtikina, kad istorijai didelę įtaką daro konkretūs asmenys. Nors svarbiausių istorinių įvykių epicentre jie buvo neilgai, tikri Latvijos patriotai, turėdami turtingą karinę patirtį, sugebėjo daug nuveikti formuojant ir stiprinant Latvijos kariuomenę bei istorinių įvykių lūžio momentuose.
Ši istorija pasakoja apie pirmąjį Latvijos kariuomenės vadą Dāvidą Sīmansoną (1859-1933).
7. Siguldos pėstininkų pulko formavimas
1919 m. birželio 20 d. Naukšėnų dvare, Rūjienos apylinkėse, pagal Šiaurės Latvijos brigados vado pulkininko Jorgio Zemitano įsakymą pradėtas formuoti 7-asis Siguldos pėstininkų pulkas. Iš pradžių iš Šiaurės Latvijos brigados rezervinio bataliono buvo suformuota nedidelė kovinė grupė, kurią sudarė 22 karininkai ir 1580 karių, kuri pirmojo vado Oskaro Dankerio garbei buvo pavadinta Dankerio divizija. Po kelių dienų dalinys buvo įtrauktas į 3-iojo Jelgavos pulko 2-ąjį batalioną, o rugpjūčio 23 d., papildžius kuopa, į 7-ąjį Siguldos pėstininkų pulką.