Order of Lāčplēsis I WW1 & Wars of Independence


The highest Latvian military award - the Lāčplēsis War Order - was founded on November 11, 1919 in honor of the defeat of the Bermontians on the banks of the Daugava and the liberation of Riga. The Lāčplēsis War Order also became the first Latvian state award. However, November 11, 1919 is the symbolic date of the establishment of the order, because the statutes of the order were approved by the Latvian Constitutional Assembly on September 18, 1920. The first award ceremony took place a year after the liberation of Torņakalns on November 11, 1920 on the Esplanade. It was awarded to Latvian army soldiers, former Latvian riflemen and foreigners, honoring their contribution to Latvia's independence. The first Lāčplēsis War orders were received by: General Pēteris Radziņš, Colonels and Lieutenant-Colonel Mārtiņš Peniķis, Krišjānis Berķis, Jūlijs Jansons, Jānis Apinis, Oskars Dankers and Jānis Puriņš.

The badge of the Lāčplēsis War Order is a white enameled fire cross with a red and gold border. On the obverse of the center medallion is Lāčplēsis, which is fighting a bear. Cross corners - crossed swords. The date is placed on the reverse medallion - "November 11, 1919". Engraved in the branches of the cross is "For Latvia", which is the motto of the Order. The initials HB are engraved on the ends of the cross - a masterpiece of the silversmith Hermann Bank. The Order has a multi-beam silver star with the Order badge in the center. Moire ribbon with three red and four silver stripes of equal width. The Lāčplēsis War Order has three classes - Class I, II and III.

The awarding with the Lāčplēsis War Order lasted until November 11, 1928. During these eight years, the 1st Class Lāčplēsis War Order was awarded to 11 persons (4 Latvians and 11 foreigners), the 2nd Class Order to 61 persons (18 Latvians and 43 foreigners), and the 3rd Class Order to 2,072 persons (1,600 National Army soldiers, 202 former Latvian riflemen). and 271 foreigners). LKO cavalry enjoyed a number of privileges - the right to wear a military uniform even after vacation, discounts on the purchase of railway tickets, the right to receive exemption from tuition fees for children in public schools, free medical care, etc.

A total of three women were awarded the Lāčplēsis War Order. One of them is the famous Latvian rifleman Līna Čanka, whose life story has already become legendary. Born in 1895 in Mežzīle, Renda Parish, in 1915, approaching the German army, L. Čanka left his family home with his family and went on to run as refugees. Arriving in Riga, she made a decision uncharacteristic of the era - to fight the invading army with a weapon in the hands of the Latvian Rifle Battalion. Using the documents of the deceased brother Jānis and the favor of a well-known guy who successfully passed the medical commission, L. Čanka manages to get into the 3rd Kurzeme Latvian Rifle Battalion. However, very soon L. Chanka's service members reported to the command about the rifleman with unusual behavior. When everything came to light, Chancu wanted to be expelled from the battalion, but she protested, expressed a desire to fight the enemy and even threatened to shoot himself. As a result, L. Chanka was allowed to remain in the battalion.

More information sources

Sargs.lv. 2015. Latvian Riflemen - Knights of the Lāčplēsis Military Order. Available: https://www.sargs.lv/lv/vienibas-un-personibas/2015-11-23/latviesu-strelnieki-lacplesa-kara-ordena-kavalieri#lastcomment [accessed 06.05.2021].

Blizzard of Souls. Lāčplēsis War Order, 1919-1928. Available: https://www.dveseluputenis.lv/lv/laika-skala/notikums/124/lacplesa-kara-ordenis-1919-1928/ [accessed 06.05.2021].

Sargs.lv. 2011. Lāčplēsis War Order. Available: https://www.sargs.lv/lv/vesture/2011-04-18/lacplesa-kara-ordenis#lastcomment [accessed 06.05.2021].

Historia.lv. 2014. Lāčplēsis War Order. Available: https://www.historia.lv/biblioteka/skirklis/lacplesa-kara-ordenis [accessed 06.05.2021].


Related objects

Memorial place of General Pēteris Radziņš

Located in Valka parish, driving on the road Valka - Rūjiena (P22) 4 kilometers, to the right, following the signs.

Pēteris Radziņš was born on May 2, 1880 in Lugavis Parish, Jaunvīndedze. Studied at Lugaži Parish School, Valka City School and Valka Nelson Real School. Joined the Russian army as a volunteer. In the autumn of 1919, he returned to Latvia and on October 27 was appointed Chief of Staff of the Commander-in-Chief of the Army, assuming this position at a time when the Bermontians were threatening Riga. As the chief of staff, he has led all the battles of Riga, Zemgale and Latgale. Promoted to General on February 5, 1920.

Today, a memorial stone dedicated to General Pēteris Radziņš (1880 - 1930) can be seen near the family house.

On November 11, 2017, a memorial plaque to Pēteris Radziņš was unveiled in Riga, at the corner of the Daugava gate.

Video: Memorial event of General P. Radziņš in Riga Brothers Cemetery in 2019

Video: On May 2, 2019, on the 139th birthday of General Pēteris Radziņš, a commemoration event took place on the embankment of November 11, near the Presidential Palace, covering the memorial plaque to the guard of honor and those interested.

The exposition of Valka Local History Museum “Valka - the cradle of Latvia's independence” also reflects the life and work of General Pēteris Radziņš.
In addition to the traditional ways of displaying the collection, the exhibition uses interactive multimedia solutions. Information and annotations translated into Estonian and English.

Oskars Kalpaks Museum and Memorial Site “Airītes”

The Oskars Kalpaks Museum and Memorial Site Airītes is located between Saldus and Skrunda near the A9 highway. The exhibit has extensive information about Colonel Oskars Kalpaks and his battalion, and shows the history of the Latvian National Army and the memorial site Airītes. The exhibit reveals Colonel Oskars Kalpaks as a personality, as a soldier and as a fighter for Latvia's independence. Audio logs in Latvian, English and German are also available as part of the exhibit. They emphasize the importance of the historic events of 1918/1919 in the protecting the statehood of Latvia. The museum building has been restored.

Entry is free; guided tour – for a fee. The complex has a recreation area, a park, an obstacle course, it is possible to take various classes, and there is a seminar hall for up to 30 people.

Alūksne Garrison Cemetery

Located on the shores of Lake Alūksne, on the Kapsēta peninsula, in the territory of the Great Cemetery.

They were started and maintained by the soldiers of the 7th Sigulda Infantry Regiment in the 1930s and consecrated on November 11, 1932. After the restoration of Latvia's independence, Uldis Veldre, the head of the department of the Alūksne Brothers' Cemetery Committee, took care of the maintenance of the Garrison Cemetery, the identification of the resting places associated with Alūksne and the installation of memorials in the Garrison Cemetery.

Military personnel of the Army of the Republic of Latvia were buried in the garrison cemetery, as well as soldiers and civilians killed in the fight against the Bolsheviks on July 4, 1941 in Alūksne near Jāņkalniņš and on July 7, 1941 in Ziemera parish.
Most of the buried have white wooden crosses with metal plaques, which indicate the name of the deceased, the rank or occupation, as well as the date of birth and death.
On December 19, 1990, a memorial to Vilius Spandeg, a knight of the Lāčplēsis Military Order, was unveiled in the Garrison Cemetery. Standard memorial plaques were also erected to the LKOK, who died or were killed in communist concentration camps and were not buried in Latvia. On November 11, 1990, a memorial was erected to Voldemārs Zaķis, who died in the communist concentration camp.

Karvas Brothers Cemetery

It is located on the side of Alūksne - Ape road near the Eel House, south of Karva, turning to Rezaka.

The monument was unveiled on September 12, 1937. The granite stencil was designed by Oem Dambekalns in Riga in Riga by the architect Vemera Vitand.
In the autumn of 1975, the local communists destroyed the monument. On March 30, 1989, the Alūksne District Council decided to restore the monument, and on April 30, 1989, a temporary wooden memorial in the form of a Latvian tombstone was erected by Jānis Jaunzems, a worker at the State Electrotechnical Factory (VEF). It read: "The monument to the Karvas Brethren will be restored here."
At that time, the adjacent Brothers' Cemetery was also improved.
In 1993, thanks to the initiative of Uldis Veldre, the head of the Alūksne Brothers' Cemetery Committee, the restoration of the memorial site resumed. The new monument was made by Cēsis stonemason brothers Aivars, Austris and Auseklis Kerliņi.

The monument was unveiled on June 11, 1994.

Four soldiers of the 5th Company of the Valmiera Infantry Regiment are buried in the Brothers' Cemetery - Jēkabs Sukse, Pēteris Leitlands, Ernests Puķītis and Gustavs Ozols, who died on April 2, 1919 in the battles at the Eel House. Roberts Grazer, a soldier of the Valmiera Regiment, was buried as the fifth soldier of the Valmiera Regiment in the mid-1930s, and disappeared on March 31, 1919 at the New Manor. Initially, he was buried as an unknown, but later the name was found and carved into the monument. Augusts Dzedons (Ziedons), the fifth soldier who died in the Battle of Eel, was buried in the Apekalns cemetery.

A memorial plaque has been erected at the foot of the monument to Jānis Goldem (1891–1952), a participant in the eel battle in LKOK, who died in the Communist concentration camp in Inta, Komi.

The second memorial plaque, unveiled on August 23, 1992, was erected at one of the wooden crosses and is dedicated to Corporal Peter Janson of the 7th Sigulda Infantry Regiment, who was assassinated by the oncoming communists on July 7, 1941.

Monument to the participants and fallen of the War of Independence

Located in the Center Cemetery, Barkava Parish, Madona Region.
Not far from Barkava St. Stanislaus Roman Catholic Church.

A monument to the participants and victims of the Latvian War of Independence can be seen. The monument was unveiled on November 11, 2018. It was initiated by Janīna Liepiņa, a history teacher at Barkava Primary School.
It is made of black, polished granite and consists of a cross with two memorial plaques on both sides, in which the names of 47 countrymen who took part in the Latvian War of Independence, who fell or received the Lāčplēsis War Order, and the names of the Barkavis killed.

The following can be seen: The monument to the soldier Jezups Rentsāns, who fell in the War of Independence, and the monument to Aleksandrs Lakstīgals, a soldier of the 1st Liepaja Infantry Regiment.

The monument to Alexander Lakstīgals was unveiled in 1936. August 30. It was discovered by the commander of the 17th Rezekne Defense Regiment Zarāns.
The monument to the soldier of the 1st Liepaja Infantry Regiment was built by the 10th company of the 17th Rezekne Guard Regiment for donated funds.

Memorial to the Knights of the Lāčplēsis War Order

Located in Matīši cemetery, Matīši parish.

A text with the names of the 15 Knights of the Lāčplēsis Military Order related to Matīši, as well as with the neighboring parishes of Vilzēni and Braslava, who were once united by the parish of Matīši Church, is engraved on the memorial table. Those who died abroad or were buried elsewhere in Latvia were also identified, but here in Matīši there is a family cemetery.

The memorial stall was unveiled on August 4, 2018 in honor of the centenary of Latvia.

The Lāčplēsis War Order (LKO) was the highest military award in Latvia from 1920 to 1940. The LKO awarded for the merits of the battle to the soldiers of the Latvian Army and former Latvian Rifle Regiments, as well as to foreigners who had made a great contribution to the Latvian freedom struggle or otherwise promoted the establishment of the Latvian state. The motto of LKO is "About Latvia", and it has 3 classes. First class, served only to high-ranking statesmen and generals.

Burials of Latvian legionnaires and victims of the War of Independence

Located in Cesvaine Ķinderi cemetery.

A granite memorial stone to Latvian legionnaires was unveiled in the cemetery of the Brothers in June 1997, and the individual burials of the fallen in the War of Independence can be found and seen.

An information stand-scheme with memorial and burial places has been installed near the cemetery:

1. Cemetery of the Latvian Legionnaires' Brothers 1943-1945
2. Jēkabs Markovs 08.02.1883-08.08.1917. 8th Valmiera Latvian Regiment Rifleman
3. Arvīds Alberts Strads, Commander of the Green Partisans, September 22, 1894 - April 5, 1919. Senior Lieutenant
4. Harry Lyons 18.03.1914-19.01.2003. Captain
5. Jānis Purēns 15.11.1887-18.11.1918. Knight of the Lāčplēsis War Order.

Burials of the Knights of the Lāčplēsis Military Order in Palsmane cemetery

Located in Palsmane cemetery.

There are 7 cemeteries of the Knights of the Lāčplēsis War Order.

Thanks to the project “Digitization of Palsmane Cemetery”, visitors can find the burials of the Knights of the Lāčplēsis War Order:

LKOK Rūdolfs Beitikas individual burial
LKOK Kārlis Brītiņš's individual burial
LKOK Roberts Kukurītis individual burial
Individual burials of brothers LKOK Jūlija Zīle and LKOK Rihards Zīle
LKOK Ernests Lielmanis individual burial
LKOK Pēteris Rabačs individual burial

Individual burials are marked with an asterisk on the map .

In 2019, in honor of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Lāčplēsis War Order, as well as to honor the soldiers of the region, who were awarded the Lāčplēsis War Order, the established memorial sites in Palsmane Cemetery were solemnly opened on November 11.
Memorials and information stands about the cavalry of the district LKO have been placed.

Monument to the Smiltens who died in the War of Independence

Located in Smiltene Lutheran Cemetery, 11 Valnu Street.

The monument to the Smiltene victims of the War of Independence was unveiled and consecrated on November 7, 1937. The monument is built of concrete and lined with Allaži limestone slabs. The monument is based on the sketch of architect Werner Vitand and the sculptor Matiss Pluck.

In front of the monument, on October 31, 1937, the remains of the senior lieutenant, Peter Kriev, a knight of the Lāčplēsis Military Order, who had fallen in battle on March 6, 1919, were reburied from the family cemetery. On November 7, 1937, a memorial plaque of black granite was placed near his grave.

Several fallen Latvian riflemen and soldiers of the Latvian Army who fell in the War of Independence are buried in the cemetery. Smiltenes ev.lut. In the church on both sides of the altar on October 2, 1927, Dean Kārlis Kundziņš consecrated 2 white marble memorial plaques.

Memorial places for generals and knights of the Lāčplēsis War Order in Trikāta Parish

The memorial stele is located next to the Trikāta cemetery chapel.

Trikāta Cemetery preserves the memory of three outstanding Latvian generals - Roberts Dambītis, Kārlis Goppers and Jānis Balodis. Jēkabs Mūrnieks, a teacher of all these generals, is also buried in Trikāta cemetery.

The generals and the knights of the Lāčplēsis Military Order are commemorated every year with torchlight processions to the Trikāta cemetery, where there are two memorial statues, in which the names of 17 knights of the Lāčplēsis Military Order associated with Trikāta parish are engraved.
Stela was opened on November 11, 2018.

Video story about the Lāčplēsis War Order and the set of orders that belonged to General Jānis Balodis.

Memorial to the Knights of the Lāčplēsis War Order

Located next to the chapel of Kauguri cemetery.

A memorial stall and information stand with a biography of each knight of the Lāčplēsis War Order, places of struggle and a place of rest can be seen.

The text inscribed in the statue is a bit misleading, because only two LKOKs are buried in Kauguri cemetery - A. Ābeltiņš and Ē. Radziņš, but the others mentioned in the story are related to Kauguri parish in a different way - either born there or lived for some time.

The Lāčplēsis War Order (LKO) was the highest military award in Latvia from 1920 to 1940. The LKO awarded for the merits of the battle to the soldiers of the Latvian Army and former Latvian Rifle Regiments, as well as to foreigners who had made a great contribution to the Latvian freedom struggle or otherwise promoted the establishment of the Latvian state. The motto of LKO is "About Latvia", and it has 3 classes. First class, served only to high-ranking statesmen and generals.

Stela was opened on November 11, 2018.

Exposition "Latvian Army in Pļaviņas in the 20th Century"

Located at Odzienas Street 2, Pļaviņas.

The permanent exposition "Latvian Army in Pļaviņas in the 20th Century" can be seen.

The building in Pļaviņas, Odzienas Street 2, has a long history - from the time when Stukmaņi wholesaler Hugo Apeltofts started active economic activity in it, thus promoting the development of Pļaviņas city, until the headquarters of the Latvian Eastern Front was established here during the War of Independence. In 1919, the activities of Latvian army units against the Red Army in Latgale were commanded directly from Pļaviņas.

In 1934, a memorial plaque was unveiled near this house with the inscription: "In 1919, the headquarters of the Eastern Front was located in this house, and here General Jānis Balodis took over the command of the Latvian National Army." It was removed and destroyed by the Soviets in 1940, but on June 16, 1990, with the support of the LNNK Plavinas branch, it was restored.

Now, next to the former headquarters building, there is a memorial stall dedicated to 15 cavalry of the Lāčplēsis Military Order born in Pļaviņas region. In Pļaviņas, as well as provides an insight into the life stories of the Knights of the Lāčplēsis War Order.

Not far from the exposition building is the Latgale Division headquarters building, which was built in 1913 by Count Teodors Medems as a Stukmaņi liqueur factory. In 1919 it was taken over by the regime of P. Stučka, where it had also established a prison. After the expulsion of the Bolsheviks, in 1925 the building was taken over by the Latvian Army, which housed the headquarters of the Latgale Division. 10 generals and other officers of the Latvian Army spent their military careers in this building. In 1940, the building was taken over by the Red Army. In the post-war years, it housed a school as well as a municipality. Around 1970, the building was started to be used by the production association "Rīgas Apīrsbs".

Visits to the exhibition must be booked in advance by calling T. 28442692.

General Karl Gopper Memorial Room in the Muscat Hometown

Located in Plāņi Parish on the bank of the Vija River.

The memorial room of General Karl Gopper in his native house "Muscat" can be seen.

The Muscat farm was run by the general's brother, August Goppers, because the talented warlord was busy with major events and world wars. In 1920, the general returned to Latvia, to his native home. But many responsible duties connected him with Riga. August continued to operate in Muscat. In 1940, General Gopper was arrested and shot on March 25, 1941, in a check cellar. In 1944, the Gopper family went to Kurzeme as refugees with three horse-drawn carriages. The war divided the family, Alexander Gopper's daughters - Biruta, Elza and Anna - remained in Latvia. They were not allowed to return to Muscat. The houses were large and carefully maintained. Three four newcomer families were accommodated in separate rooms. A horse farm was set up in the big barn. A fire broke out in 1980 due to mutual scabies. The barn and the big barn burned down. Fortunately, the fire did not spread to the house, the flames were repelled by large trees planted by our ancestors.

In 1991, after the miraculous Awakening, the Latvian state was reborn for the second time. In 1992, the family of General Gopper's brother Augustus regained Muscat as an ancestral sanctity. For ten years, all the cheeses worked hard to save the houses from destruction, to restore and build the ruined buildings to make the entire Muscat farm beautiful. The houses have been restored to their old appearance, there is also a memorial room for General Karl Gopper. The memorial room can be visited in advance by calling +371 29396870, +371 29254285.

Memorial to the Victims of Communist Terror for the Repressed in Jaunrauna Parish

Located in "Baižēni", Priekuli parish

A memorial place for the repressed was created in the place of the ruins of the barn of the "Baižēni" house, where on the night of March 25, 1949, 40 residents of Jaunrauna parish were kept to take their way to Lode railway station and Siberia in the morning.

The repressed included children under 1 year of age and 87-year-olds.

The names of those who were shot or died in exile are also written on the memorial plaque. Next to it are memorial stones to the Knights of the Lāčplēsis War Order.

Lubāna Municipality tourism and cultural heritage centre

The Lubāna Municipality Tourism and Cultural Heritage Centre is located in the very centre of the city of Lubāna. It features several exhibits, including permanent ones, on the history, culture and traditions of and events at the municipality. The permanent exhibits are dedicated to personalities that Lubāna is especially proud of. They introduce poet Broņislava Martuževa, member of the National Resistance Movement and political prisoner; politician Hugo Celmiņš, a participant of the War of Independence; Oskars Kalpaks, First Commander-in-Chief of the Latvian Army; photographer Alfreds Grāvers; opera singer Jānis Zābers; poet Jānis Gavars; artist Rūdolfs Pinnis, as well as folklorist and pastor Mārtiņš Celmiņš. A guide describes the lives of the Knights of the Lāčplēsis War Order and freedom fighters in Lubāna and its adjacent territory, as well as their resting places in Lubāna’s old graveyard. Available languages: Latvian and Russian. Guided tours with a German and English translation can be booked in advance.

Monument to the soldiers who died in the War of Independence

Located in Valka on Varoņu Street next to the Forest Cemetery.

A monument to 30 soldiers of the 1st (4th) Valmiera Infantry Regiment who died in the Latvian War of Independence can be seen.

The monument was unveiled on October 1, 1922. It consists of the figure of an ancient Latvian warrior ("Ancestor") carved in local pink granite, placed on a two-part pedestal made of gray granite. The sketch of the sculptor Emil Melder (Miller) has been chosen for the monument. Along with Melder, the sculptor Wilhelm Trey also participated in the forging of the monument.

It is the first monument of the Latvian War of Independence created by a professional sculptor, as well as the only one in the interwar period, made in the style of modernism, using elements of Cubism.

During the repeated communist occupation in 1951, the sculpture of the monument was demolished, partially damaged and buried. Burials were also leveled.

In 1988, as the centenary of the sculptor E. Melder (1889-1979) approached, the study of his works began.
The restored brothers' cemetery, along with the restored monument, was unveiled on November 11, 1990.

In 2017, eight memorials to the Knights of the Lāčplēsis War Order connected with Valka were erected in the Brothers' Cemetery. They are located on both sides of the monument - on four sides on each side.

Monument to the sea lieutenant, L.k.o.k. Vilis Gelb (1890-1919)

Located in Limbažu Jūras iela cemetery, Jūras iela 56, Limbaži

The monument opened on September 10, 1922 by the then President of Latvia Jānis Čakste, on which the dedication of the poet Viļas Plūdonis to Vilis Gelb is read:

"Compatriots who pass by me, light up in the love of the fatherland,
for the beloved fatherland, I pledge my life."

Vilis Gelbe (1890-1919) was born in Kurzeme, Zemīte parish, but he is also closely related to the Limbaži side, because at the beginning of the Latvian War of Independence, he returned to Latvia from St. Petersburg and joined the North Latvian Brigade.

In May 1919, V. Gelbi commanded Limbaži, he became the military commandant of the area and was able to inspire local men and also very young guys to join the army.

V. Gelbe's activity at that time in Limbaži and its surroundings was very important, his duties included not only maintaining order in the city and its surroundings, but also mobilization, providing food for soldiers and horses, and solving many other issues that cannot be included in orders and instructions. The Commandant's team organized by him acted as a coordinated mechanism to provide the North Latvian Brigade with the most effective assistance possible. The commander's team went to the aid of the regular army in special cases, and he set an example for the new soldiers. V. Gelbe was the first Latvian army officer who proposed to award his subordinates with the III class of the Order of Imanta. There was no order yet. Imanta's name appeared in the open only on March 20, 1920, when the minister of defense, Karls Ullman, was presented with an outline of the establishment of the military order. However, the name of Lāčplėš was chosen for the order.

Vilis Gelbe died during the battles of Cēsis - on June 19, 1919, during a reconnaissance. Later, Gelb was awarded the Láčplēš War Order, however, historians believe that his contribution has not been properly appreciated until now. This is mainly explained by Gelbe's membership in the Northern Latvian Brigade.

The so-called Southern Latvian brigade, which was initially commanded by Oskars Kaplak, later Jānis Balož, competed with the Northern Latvian brigade, which was commanded by Jorģs Zemitāns.

In Vidriži, a memorial sign at the place where LKOK Vilis Gelbe and two soldiers of his team fell

In Vidriži, at the turn to Lēdurga, during the Freedom Struggle on June 19, 1919, Marine First Lieutenant Vilis Gelbe and two soldiers fell in battle.

Vilis Gelbe is buried in the Limbaži cemetery. Vilis Gelbe was awarded the III class of the Lāčplēš War Order (No. 895) for his heroic deed at Vidrižu manor.

Currently, three commemorative crosses installed in 1989 can be seen at the battle site.

On June 22, 1934, a bronze commemorative plaque made by the artist Stefan Berc was unveiled near the maple growing in the manor park. Already at the beginning of the communist occupation, in the fall of 1940, the memorial plaque disappeared. The maple to which it was nailed also died. At the beginning of the Revival, on June 19, 1989, on the 70th anniversary of the death of Gelbe and two soldiers of his team - corporal Krustiņš and soldier Krūza - at the crossroads where a memorial plaque used to be, on the initiative of the Environmental Protection Club and Latvian People's Front branches of Limbažu county, installed three wooden crosses made in folk style by Jānis Eglīš. By the decision of the executive committee of Limbažu district in April 1991, this memorial place was included in the list of historical monuments of local significance.

Preiļi Museum of History and Applied Art exhibition "Museum stories for Latvia"

It is located in the premises of the Preiļi Cultural Center.

Preiļi Museum of History and Applied Art (PVLMM) exhibition "Museum stories for Latvia" about the First World War, the War of Independence and the Second World War can be viewed.

The "Story of Drywys" section of the exhibition "Museum Stories for Latvia" (opened in 2018) of the Museum of Preiļi History and Applied Arts is dedicated to the First World War, the War of Independence and the liberation of Latgale, as well as to the knights of the Lāčplešana War Order. The exhibition section "The story of the flag" tells about the difficult events of the Second World War period, during which the people of Preila were affected by deportations, the Holocaust, involvement in the military units of the warring parties, and after the war - in the ranks of national partisans. The "Righteous Among the Nations" medal awarded to Vladislav Vuškānas, the savior of the Jews from Preiliat, can also be viewed.

Upon prior application, a tour is available in Russian and English.

Monument to the first fallen soldier of the Schoolmen's Company, Edgars Krieviņas

Located in the Central Cemetery of Valmiera, near the chapel (Miera Street 1/3, Valmiera)

A soldier of the 8th (Skolnieki) company of the Cēsi regiment, LKOK Edgars Krieviņš (1899-1919), died on June 7 from injuries sustained in the battles of Cēsi on June 6, 1919, when he covered the retreat of the rest of the units when the Landsweer attacked.

Memorial stele for the knights of the War Order of Lāčplēš

It is located next to the Roman Catholic Church of the Heart of Jesus in Viļaka.

The memorial stele for the knights of the Lāčplēš War Order in Viļakas region was opened on November 11, 2017. The destinies of 28 Lāčplēš Knights of the Military Order are connected with the name of Viļakas county.
The granite stele was created as part of the project "Remember Lāčplēšus" dedicated to the centenary of the Latvian state. Commemorative stelae of a uniform model will be installed throughout Latvia in honor of the soldiers who died in the Latvian Freedom Struggle. The initiator of the project is the Jaunsardze and Information Center.

Five knights of the Lāčplēš War Order, whose names are engraved on the memorial stele, lived in the territory of the present-day Viļakas district after the end of the Freedom Struggle:
– Jānis Kuļšs was a young farmer in Apsīs, Šķilbēni parish,
– Aleksej Lyubimov (Lavrentiev) lived on the Fortepianova farm in Šķilbēni parish, later in Vilaka,
– Teodors Mende managed the farm assigned to him and was a forest guard in the village of Katleši, Žigur parish,
– Eduard Tennyson lived at Vecumu station, later lived in Chabatrova village and worked at p/s "Viļaka",
– Jānis Burmeisters after 1928 lived in Šķilbēni parish for some time.

The brothers' cemetery in Viļakas county is the resting place of 45 soldiers who gave their lives in 1920, defending Latvia from bigots. January 9 was the day when the attacks began in North Latgale, and despite the difficult weather conditions at that time, Viļaka was also liberated on the same day.
In the battles for the liberation of Latgale, Estonian soldiers also fought side by side with Latvian army soldiers and partisans against the Red Army in Viļakas county. Many of them gave their lives for a free Latvia.

Barn of Nygrande Manor

The Nīgrande Local History Repository is located in the Nīgrande village in the manor barn, next to the Nīgrande Primary School, and is accessible by appointment.

The military history section of the repository includes an exhibition on World War II and original objects and parts found in the area after the war and in later years. You can also find out stories and see photographs about Nygrande and its surroundings from the War of Independence, World War II and the post-war period, as well as life on the collective farm in Soviet times. 

The exhibition has a special place for the local writer Jēkab Janševskis and his works, and there is an exhibition presenting traditional manor house life and furnishings. A mammoth tusk found in Nīgrande is also on display in the barn of Nīgrande Manor.

Monument to the Liberation of Livani

The monument is located at the intersection of Fabrikas and Stacias streets, where it was opened on June 9, 1935 by General Rudolfs Bangerskis, honoring the memory of the soldiers who fell in the battles for the liberation of Lebanon in 1919.
Its main element is a 15-ton, vertically placed cannon barrel. In 1958, the Soviet power dismantled the symbol of the freedom of Lebanon, cutting the barrel of the cannon into scrap metal. The inhabitants of the cannon ball remained throughout the Soviet years, and they returned to their previous place after half a century. The idea of restoring the monument was alive in the people all these years. The Līvāni County Council, together with the residents, was actively involved in the restoration of the monument. Public donations were collected, and on October 3, 2004, the restored Livani Liberation Monument was unveiled in its historic location in the city park.

The inscription on the monument: "Soldiers of the Jelgava infantry regiment fell for Latvia near Līvānii and the liberation of the surrounding area in 1919. Soldiers of the former North Latvian partisan regiment."
The names of soldiers and partisans follow.

Commemorative plaques for the knights of the Lāčplēš War Order in Līvāni district are installed next to it.

The author of the monument was architect Pāvils Dreimanis.

3-5 of 1919 October. Battle of Livani

On October 3, 1919, the big men received a strong blow at the front near Livani. Units of the 3rd Jelgava and 4th Valmiera infantry regiments, as well as units of the Latvian German Land Guard (former Landeswehr) took part in the attack on Līvāni. Units of the 3rd Jelgava Infantry Regiment moved across the Daugava with artillery support. After the successful move, the battles for Livani began, which lasted throughout the day. Around At 17:30, the Livani station was captured, but an hour later the bridges over the Dubna river were crossed. Joint forces managed to expel the bigots from Livani, at At 19:00 the city was completely freed. On October 5, 1919, the big men tried to recover Livani by attacking the new positions of the 3rd Jelgava and 4th Valmiera infantry regiments. The Latvians held their positions with difficulty. This was the first serious and successful attack on the Eastern Front between July and October 1919.

Alūksne Museum

The Alūksne Museum is located in an architectural monument of national significance: the neo-Gothic Alūksne New Castle built in the late 19th century. The museum features an exhibition named ‘Memorial Room for Victims of the Totalitarian Regime’, which tells about the fate of the inhabitants of Alūksne municipality in Siberia and the Far East, while the time periods from prehistory to the present meet in the Alūksne history exhibit ‘Feast of the Ages’. It features a separate section devoted to the contribution of the 7th Sigulda Infantry Regiment to the military, culture and public life. The formation of the 7th Sigulda Infantry Regiment began on 20 June 1919 in the Naukšēni Manor. Initially, a battle group of 22 officers and 1,580 soldiers was formed from the reserve battalion of the Northern Latvian Brigade, and was named the Dankers Division. It was included in the 2nd Battalion of the 3rd Jelgava Regiment. On 23 August, following an increase in the number of companies, it became part of the 7th Sigulda Infantry Regiment. Having taken part in the battles against Bermondt, on 5 January 1920, the regiment was transferred to the Latgale front to fight the Bolsheviks. After the signing of the Peace Treaty with Soviet Russia, the regiment guarded Latvia’s eastern border. The Latvian War of Independence saw the deaths of more than 200 soldiers of the regiment, while 85 were awarded the Lāčplēsis War Order. In 1921, the 7th Sigulda Infantry Regiment was stationed in Alūksne. The regiment’s headquarters were set up in the Alūksne New Castle. After World War II, the castle was taken over by Soviet security institutions. As of the late 1950s, the castle housed various cultural institutions: the Culture and Cinematography Department of the Executive Committee, a pioneer house, a library, a cinema and a museum.

Monument to the soldiers of Anna Parish who died in the First World War and the Latvian Liberation War

Located in the central part of Anna parish Ezeriņi cemetery.

In the cemetery, where the burials have been made since 1925, there is a monument to the soldiers of Anna Parish who died in the First World War and the Latvian Liberation War, built with the funds collected by the Department of Guard of Anna Parish and unveiled in 1933. Until the Second World War, the guards of Anna Parish took care of the care of the monument, who went to the cemetery every Sunday and laid flowers in honor of the fallen. On November 18, 1940, the monument was shot, and the footprints of the bullets are still visible. Today, the cemetery commemorates Lāčplēsis Day every year.

In 2004, a memorial to the politically repressed in 1941 and 1949 was unveiled in the cemetery, and in 2006 a memorial plaque to the national partisans was unveiled.

Monument to Cēsis ornaments at the site of the first battle

Located in Drabešu parish, 79th kilometer of Vidzeme highway.

A monument made of granite can be seen, in which a stylized scheme of the invasion of the Bolsheviks was carved.
The monument has been discovered and consecrated. December 28, 2018. In Drabešu Parish, on December 24, 1918, the reconnaissance team of Captain Artūrs Jansons (1893 - 1941) prevented the Red Army scouts from moving from Cēsis to Ieriķi with a heavy machine gun fire. It was the first armed clash of Latvian troops with the Red Army of Soviet Russia.

Misiņkalns Military Heritage Trail

Misiņkalns nature park is located in the town of Aizpute. Misiņkalns is the highest place in the city of Aizpute. Its height reaches 95.4 m. The top offers a scenic view of the city. Misiņkalns nature park was started to be built in the 20th century. at first. The area of the park is currently about 28 ha.

In the territory of the park there are several places and memorials related to the events of the 20th century - the memorial stele of the soldiers who died in the Latvian Freedom Wars - the cavaliers of the Lāčpleš Order, the place of the Holocaust memorial, the place of remembrance of the repressed and the memorial plaque of the fallen red partisans.

In the park, you can get to know the plants and plantations of various rare species, as well as enjoy the untouched nature. Currently, the park is criss-crossed by renovated walking and cycling paths, and there is a motorcycle track on the territory of the park, where Latvian motocross competitions take place.

In order to get to know the cultural and historical heritage of Misiņkalns manor park more fully, we recommend using the services of a guide.

Steles in memory of the knights of the War Orders of Lāčplēš

Twenty-seven knights of the Lāčplēš Military Order are associated with the Aizpute region.

Commemorative stelae of a uniform pattern were erected throughout Latvia in honor of the soldiers who fell in the Latvian Freedom Struggle, in which the text engraving font corresponds to the standard of the heroes' memorial plaques, which is analogous to the engraving of the sandstone memorials of the Riga Brothers' Grave and Central Graveyard.

The granite stelae were created as part of the "Remember Lāčplēšus" project of the Young Guard and Information Center dedicated to the centenary of the Latvian state.

Related stories

Liberation of Northern Latgale from the Bolsheviks

On December 1, 1918, parts of the Red Army, based on the Red Rifle units, invaded the territory of Latvia. In order to protect their homes, families, native counties and escape from terror, the men around Balvi took up arms and went into the forests, and the first "green" groups began to form. In the spring of 1919, when the mobilization was announced, many men in the Balvi area were not allowed to fight in the Soviet Latvian army and they joined the "green" groups. Balvi, Silakrog, Rugāji, Teteru-Dūrupe and Liepna groups were formed. In the vicinity of Balvi, the activity of "green" groups became more active in March 1919.

About the National Patriot Chief Lieutenant Vili Gelbi

The fate of Senior Lieutenant Viļa Gelbe (1890-1919) reflects the difficult situation in the formation of our country and army, as well as in the evaluation of these events.
With the proclamation of the Latvian state on November 18, 1918, the War of Independence and the work of forming the armed forces also began. Vilis Gelbe, a naval lieutenant born in Kurzeme, was in the front ranks of Latvian volunteers.

For the first Commander-in-Chief of the Latvian Army David Simanson

The essays of the book "Latvian Army Commanders" convince that history is significantly influenced by specific people. Although at the epicenter of the most important historical events for a short time, the true Latvian patriots, with their rich military experience, managed to accomplish a lot in the formation and strengthening of the Latvian army and the turn of historical events.
This story is about the first commander-in-chief of the Latvian army, David Simanson (1859-1933).

Awarding of the 7th Sigulda Infantry Regiment in bermontiad, awarding of the great soldier Valija Veščūnas with the Lāčplēsis War Order in Alūksne

After the Latvian War of Independence, the great soldier Valija Veščunas was awarded the Lāčplēsis War Order for the November 19, 1919 battles with the Bermontians at the Plan House. Valija Veshchun was one of the first to cross the Lielupe under the fire of the enemy.

Memorial moment in the Garrison Cemetery

After the restoration of Latvia's independence, Uldis Veldre, the head of the department of the Alūksne Brothers' Cemetery Committee, took care of the maintenance of the Garrison Cemetery, the identification of the LKOK-related resting places related to Alūksne and the installation of memorials in the Garrison Cemetery.

About General Karl Gopper

General K. Goppers (1876-1941) was an outstanding soldier and an outstanding man. He stood out as a successful commander who took over the command of the battalion and regiments, heroically leading his riflemen in battles for the freedom of Latvia during the First World War (1914-1919). He has participated in battles in Tīreļpurvs, Ložmetējkalns, and defended Riga.

The life of General Jānis Balozis after returning from deportation

When the Russians tried to force a military base agreement from the Latvian government in 1940, which would make the Latvian army's resistance to the Red Army almost impossible, General J. Balodis tries to get some amendments to this agreement. But it fails. But the general's bad guys use this circumstance to later correct J. Balodi almost as a traitor. After a conflict with the Prime Minister of the State and Prime Minister K. Ulmanis, on April 5, 1940, the General was relieved of the post of Minister of War. Then J. Balodis decides to participate in the Saeima elections from the Democratic Bloc, but nothing comes out of it, because only one list may stand for election - the list of communist candidates. Latvia becomes the 14th Soviet republic.

In memory of Pēteris Radziņš, General of the Latvian Army, two-time Knight of the Lāčplēsis War Order

General Pēteris Radziņš, born in Lugka Parish, Valka District, in a simple farmer's family, where he learned to do field work. He was a very smart young man, after graduating from school he decided in favor of the war and it started his army rescue of Latvia from Bermont's troops. P.Radziņš was one of the most outstanding officers of the Latvian Army and was awarded with numerous Latvian and foreign orders and memorials.

Aizporu half manor in the War of Independence

Aizporu Half Manor, Aizpute district, Kalvene municipality, is the westernmost place in Latvia to which Colonel Oskars Kalpaks' separate battalion retreated.

Halfway between Rudbārži and Kalvenė, on the side of the road, is the Aizpore cemetery. There is a monument and 12 memorials to the volunteer soldiers of Oskars Kalpaka's battalion.

Historical evidence in the rocks of Līču - Langģi

Excerpts from local history enthusiast Aivars Vilnius tell about history and its evidence found in Lode and Liepa, now in Cēsi county.