Monument to refugees of the First World War in Kurzeme and Zemgale in the Leja cemetery
Memorialinis vieta

IMG_0002.jpg
Fotografēts 1936. gadā, fotogrāfs Alberts Vizla. Avots: Cēsu Vēstures un mākslas muzejs
IMG_3506.jpg
IMG_3514.jpg
IMG_3518.jpg
Įkeliama...
 Lejas kapi, Lenču iela, Cēsis, Latvija
89

It is located in the Lower Cemetery of the city of Cēsis.

Monument to the refugees of the First World War of Kurzeme and Zemgale.

In the lower cemetery, a rough-hewn granite stele rises above the four-sided base, with a bronze cross in the upper part. Below it follows a message in bronze letters:

REMEMBER
GOD BE IN PEACE
STROKING
96 CURZEMES
AND ZEMGALES
REFUGEES
1915-1918

On February 17, 1933, a refugee committee met in Riga, which decided "to work as a unit at the Cēsis city parish with the aim of collecting and beautifying the graves of refugees, as well as erecting memorials in the cemeteries of Cēsis and the surrounding area".
By May 1935, 6,883.20 lats had been donated.
On February 11, 1936, he agreed with the sculptor Kārli Jansons on the construction of monuments in the Leja and Bērzaine cemeteries. Both monuments were opened on June 14, 1936, and they cost 4,600 lats.

Panaudoti šaltiniai ir literatūra:

S. Upīte, P. Puķīte, 1 World War and Freedom Struggle memorial sites in Cēsi district, Cēsi Museum Association, 1989

Susijusi istorija

Kuržemės ir Žiemgalos pabėgėlių memorialinės vietos ir palaidojimai Cėsiuose

Iki Pirmojo pasaulinio karo Latvijos teritorijoje gyveno 2552 tūkst. žmonių. 1920 metų gyventojų surašymo metu užregistruota 1596 tūkst. žmonių. Tai reiškia, kad per šį laikotarpį Latvijoje gyventojų sumažėjo 956 tūkst. žmonių, arba 37,5 proc.
1915 metų vasarą vokiečių kariuomenė užėmė Kurzemį ir Žiemgalį. Daugiau nei pusė milijono pabėgėlių paliko savo gimtąsias vietas nesibaigiančiu srautu. Pirmieji pabėgėliai į Cesius atvyko jau 1915 metų balandį.