Monument to the Liberators of Southern Estonia

Nimekiri materjalist ja maksumusest, mis kulus mälestussamba valmistamiseks.

A list of the materials and cost of construction of the monument.

The monument was built using reinforced concrete, requiring approximately 18 m3 of fieldstones, 2 tonnes of lime, 39 barrels of cement and 15 m3 of sand and gravel. It cost 267,195 marks.

Used sources and references:

Kaitseliit. Tartu malev. https://www.facebook.com/1491282291188246/photos/pcb.1782257015424104/1782240095425796/

Related objects

Monument to the Liberators of Southern Estonia and Raadi Military Cemetery

This monument is situated on the Nurme Street side of Raadi Cemetery in Tartu.

The monument, which was situated in the cemetery of the Tartu Garrison, was proposed by two-time recipient of the Cross of Liberty Colonel Siegfried Pinding. Each side of the monument represented one of the southern counties of Estonia, with the five smaller pillars representing the towns of Tartu, Valga, Viljandi, Võru and Petseri. Fashioned by Anton Sobolev and Voldemar Mellik but left unfinished due to a lack of funds, it was unveiled on 17 October 1926. After World War II the monument was destroyed and its pieces buried. The original pieces were dug up in 1988 and used to restore the monument, which was unveiled anew on 10 July 1991 near its original site – still unfinished.