Monument to the War of Independence in Mustjala

Mustjala Vabadussõja mälestussammas oli Eesti Vabariigi ajal mälestuskivi.

The Monument to the War of Independence in Mustjala was a memorial tablet before World War II.

It was and still is situated in front of the stone wall that divides Silla Cemetery in two. The memorial is a field stone which stands 80 cm high and is 60 cm wide. The original location of the rock was determined on the basis of the recollections of Elviine Kolter in March 2010. The elderly lady remembered it when word got out of the possibility of the memorial being hidden somewhere in Silla Cemetery in Mustjala. 

The monument was adorned with a copper plate engraved with text in honour of the heroes of the War of Independence from Mustjala. In 1941 a local regional militiaman, A. Lainevool, concealed the copper plate in a clay hole behind the stone wall of the cemetery. The plate has yet to be found. The story of the copper plate was recounted by Arnold Nõmm from Kiveriku Farm in the village of Silla, whose father Mihkel served as the cemetery’s caretaker for many years.

Storyteller: Kalle Kolter

Related objects

Monument to the War of Independence in Mustjala

This monument is situated in Silla Cemetery in Mustjala, 700 metres from the Silla-Küdema road. It is 160 cm high, including its footing, 90 cm wide and 20 cm deep.

The restored monument was designed by Mati Karmin and fashioned by stonecutter Volli Sai. It was unveiled on 26 June 2011. The monument is dedicated to the 10 brave heroes from Mustjala who fell in the War of Independence. The monument reads:

"GREATER LOVE HAS NO ONE THAN THIS: TO LAY DOWN ONE'S LIFE FOR ONE'S FRIENDS. JHN. 15:13 

THE GRATEFUL PEOPLE OF MUSTJALA MUNICIPALITY

COMMEMORATE THE HEROES OF THE WAR OF INDEPENDENCE"